1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-RW cd rom not recognized by windows 7, no use for disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by delilahjed, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. delilahjed

delilahjed Thread Starter

Hello,

I have spent hours on this thing, Windows box 7. I re-installed windows 7 about a month ago, and I am glad I did, I was able to make copies of home movies with a program I could never use before I did this. Windows was acting buggy so I re-installed.

Ok, I made tons of home movies to pass out to the family. Suddenly...I start my pc...and the CD drawer would not open. So...I took it apart, the cd drive, and replaced that lil belt in the drive, I figured it was worn out, I tried like 6 ways to get the drawer to open afterward to no avail.

Then...I checked the properties on Devices and Removable Storage, right clik to get into properties... I see it listed in "Hardware" but check the properties and it has no location. I went through regedit..device manager...you name it, I swarmed the net looking for a way to fix it. I also found in here a shpeil on copying onto note pad information to merge info into the regedit. I did it all and yet...nothing. My big dilemma..I cannot get this door to open to re-install the drivers. Every stop I make on the net wants money...for that I can pay a tech down the street to fix this thing. Problem is, I am presently unemployed..so no..not right now.
    I'm going to be at his mercy...its like, the drivers disappeared. I hardly surf the net with this pc because its for all my home goodies. I have a laptop for the surfing. I also have the disk I need to re-install whatever it is I need...cant get the drawer to open and be compliant..Sure I can force it to open..that won't do any good, I mean force through the button or tiny hold button. Something else I found weird...when I did get on the net...everytime I tried to go to Microsoft to possibly download the drivers, even to Dell, the pages would not display...just the home page...and I use Firefox and Bing took over, I hate Bing. I had no control with Firefox..this darn thing needs another install..but I am like, what happen here. I thought about getting another drawer..used one probably...but..if the drives arent there, its not going to read the new one I put in..I don't think..Its been awhile since I had to replace one of those too..not hard, just aggravating. My box is an Inspirion 620. Geez...I hardly used the thing.. Any help is great help..thanks ahead of time..

Delilahjed

What I found below and tried...nothing though, registry said it was added...porblem...I think, no location..its all crazy..my pc sais this driver is working properly..really? I did all of that too..update driver...geez...my head is banging. I keep a lil saying on my side box...To Err is human...to really foul things up requires a computer...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Seems your optical drive may be defective. You can buy one real cheap or buy an external DVD/CD burner.
    Can you provide us with your computer Brand and Serial number or Service Tag Number.
    or
    Provide us with the optical drive model number if you can get it.

3. delilahjed

delilahjed Thread Starter

Yes...I did just that..cost me $10:00 its cured...AAAAAHHHHH but yes..it is, thank you so much for replying...

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    dlilahjed : please click on the Mark Solved button at the top of your page.

dodanio : please start a new thread describing your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice