1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD RW/CD Rom won't work properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ngp61, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ngp61

ngp61 Thread Starter

My CD/DVD rom shows up in my device manager & states it is working properly.
    Any disc that I put into the drive is not recognized. It pulls up zero info from the disc as if it can not read it. If I simply select play (even though no info is showing) I get the windows notice to add media to that drive.I thought the drive had died and I was ready to install a new one. BUT..
    I ran the installed PC-Doctor program that is a HP diagnostic program and during that test, the drive played just fine. There are multiple test for the DVD/CD rom and it passed every test in the PC-Doctor program.
    But after the test, I again placed different CD's , DVD's into it, and nothing.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does that test actually play a dvd or cd - you need to test with something that uses the laser to read a disk ......

have you tried cleaning the DVD/CD - you can get cleaners to do the job , or link free cloth and Isopropyl alcohol, if you can get to the lens - you should be able to get from chemist

3. ngp61

ngp61 Thread Starter

Hi & thank you for responding to my post.

Yes it does actually play the dvds and cd's when i run the test. (plays them through the PC DR program). I have cleaned the individual cd's & dvd's but have not cleaned the player its self. Is that what you are suggesting?

I also uninstalled the player and reinstalled with boot up ..it did not do anything different.
    And I have disabled and enabled the drive...again...still did nothing.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what program are you using to play ???

will windows explorer see data cds
    will it play audio cds

Can
    windows media player
    Itunes
    other software programs
    see the drive

5. ngp61

ngp61 Thread Starter

I use windows media player. It does not see the disc in the drive. No program can see the disc in there other than the PC Dr program.
    Windows explorer does not see any disc in the drive at all. Doesn't matter what kind of disc it is..data, music, mixed, dvd..nothing.
    My windows media player is prompting me to update it. But that would not affect my windows explorer being able to read any disc I don't believe.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    strange - clearly it works as you can play disks through the PC DR program

I'm not sure what service are required to see the dvd - need to look those up

When did this first happen - had you done any update or software install

perhaps you could try a restore to before the problem
    Start
    programs
    Accessories
    System Tools
    System restore
    choose a date before the problem started

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    another couple of ideas

1) do you have a windows recovery CD /DVD - if so see if it will boot that up
    OR
    if you have access to another PC with a CD writer
    create a live cd from ubuntu www.ubuntu.com
    download the ISO and then use that to burn a bootable CD
    put that in the machine - DO NOT INSTALL - run from the CD option
    see if that boots

8. ngp61

ngp61 Thread Starter

It has been this way now for a couple of months, I just really did not have the time to try to look into it. But now that I need it...ha ha ...all of a sudden I find the time.
    I am sure there have been some automatic window updates.
    I do have the recovery cd's that came with the system. I have never used it. Can you please explain what happens when I use that disc?

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you can create a boot disc on another computer, anything that will boot at computer start up, such as a Ubuntu Live Disc, you have to make sure the optical drive is set as first boot device in bios, put the disc in the drive and boot up the computer, if you get the "Press any key to boot from CD" then the drive it self is working. It may be that the native driver for the drive have become corrupt. You can try going to device manager, select the drive in question and Uninstall it, close Device manager and reboot the computer. When windows boots you will get a "Found new hardware", this is Windows reinstalling the Native Driver for the drive. Sometimes this works.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Whats the Model of the HP machine and what windows version

They are designed to take the PC back to the factory condition and will wipe out all your harddrive BUT not on there own when first booted

When first booted (and you may need to change the bios to boot from CD ) you will/should get an initialisation Menu

have a read here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01424355&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

As you can see option 2 allows you quit......

Just want to see if you can boot up a CD
    Other wise you can use Ubuntu
    or
    www.ubcd4win.com
    another bootable CD

have you installed any major programs software - maybe worth restore back a few months - if you have not added much
    the windows updates should redo again

EDIT
    crossed post with dustyjay, who makes a good suggestion on remove and allow windows to redetect

11. ngp61

ngp61 Thread Starter

As I posted in my second post up there...I already tried the uninstalling and letting windows detect it upon start up. I was really hoping that would do the trick, but no such luck.

I will try the booting from disc and see if that works.

It will have to wait until later in the day as unfortunately our heat in our home is not working today and it is freezing here in Florida. I must get warm. lol

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice