1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Drive will read DVD's but not CD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmsadler, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmsadler

dmsadler Thread Starter

I have an IBM Netvista 6792-11U running Windows XP w/SP2. I installed an NEC ND-3540A DVD-RW/CD-RW drive. It seems that it won't read any type of CD's (data, music, OEM, etc.), but will read DVD's with no problem. When you insert a CD, the drive will spin for about 30 seconds, light appears, then it rests. If you click on the drive in explorer, it opens, but shows no information on the disc. Thinking that the problem was probably the drive, I installed another DVD-RW/CD-RW drive, which was working fine in another computer prior to this. This drive is a Sony DW-D26A. Same exact problem . . . will not read CD's, but reads DVD's fine. I've upgraded the BIOS, checked the Device Manager which says it's working properly. I've seen a lot of forums out there, but none have given any real solutions, except to reload Windows, which is really not an option for me at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. egg64

egg64

I'm not all that good, but here's a thought, you seem to know the model for your for your DVD-RW writer, and that's a good thing. I had a problem like that before, my PC couldnt read Playstation 1 CD's, so what you may need to update your firmware for your writer (Firmware is basically drivers for your particular device) Make sure you have your install CD for your drive before doing this, as sometimes the driver may cause unwanted effects, so make sure you have it on standby just incase something goes wrong.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice