DVD-RW drive is reading CDs but not DVDs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

THFS

It reads CDs fine but whenever I put a DVD in the drive it sounds like it's attempting to read for about a minute, then nothing happens. When I double click on the DVD drive in My Computer it says "Please insert a disk into drive F:."

Any ideas?

THFS

PC with the following specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
1GB (2x512) PC4200 DDRII RAM (Kingston)
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Gigabyte 7600GT
Thermaltake Aguila w/430W PSU

It's a LiteOn SOHW-832S. I don't have any DVD software installed, since I never had to install any on my older PCs. This PC is completely new though.

what operating system?

are you talking reading dvd data discs or watching
dvd movie? i think the ambiguity is causing
confusion for people to answer.

THFS

I'm talking about DVD discs in general. Blank DVDs, data discs, movies, everything. Windows XP Professional.
EDIT: I just tried putting in my copy of Gran Turismo 4 and it works, but other DVDs aren't working. This is weird.

your dvd drive could be bad. you say pc is new so it's
unclear if drive has been tested good over long term
or not.

dvd and cd heads are different so one can be
good and other bad. also one can be slightly
bad, so that its tolerance is just enough to
read one disc and not others.

THFS: There is a firmware update for this drive. You might try it.
I don't understand why you didn't get a copy of DVD software with your drive unless you bought it OEM.
I would still try to install some sort of DVD reader software. You'll neet it to read DVD movies anyway.

You should be able to read play movies in Media Player providing you have the right codecs installed and have done all the Windows Updates, though admittedly it isn't the best for that.
Here is a free burner program that will burn cd's and dvd's nicely:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

DoubleHelix

Banned
I'd lean toward a bad drive. You do not need any codecs or special software installed to open data DVDs or even browse the folder structure of a movie DVD. If it's a new drive, it should have a warranty. Try to get it replaced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts