1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/RW Drive Isn't Working

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Tellytubby, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tellytubby

Tellytubby Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've recently replaced the hard drive in my medion computer and have been going through the process of re-installing drivers. Everything's been fine up until my dvd drive. My pioneer drive is only reading cd's or dvd's which are placed in there when the computer starts up. I've fiddle with it for quite a bit and I'm sure it is only reading cds or dvds which are in there before the computer boots.

I've done some searching but have only been able to find advice about switching from pio to dma mode, and the drive seems to be in DMA according to device manager.

I get the feeling it has to do with the way I have the hard drive and dvd drive setup. The computer used to be setup with a sata hard drive and two optical drives on the same ide ribbon. Now the ide ribbon runs from the dvd drive into the new harddrive (ide) and into the motherboard. The dvd drive is set as primary boot device as it was before the new hard drive.

Any advice is much appreciated,

Thanks, Andrew

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sharing the IDE channel with a hard disk should not have any effect on the performance of the DVD drive.

If you boot up the system with nothing in the drive, then insert a CD that has data on it, what are the exact symptoms?

3. Tellytubby

The exact symptoms are: The disc doesn't read, nada, nothing. Under my computer I cannot see the drive, there is nothing under logical drives in everest and I can't see it in device manager. Its like it just isn't even plugged in.

I had it working for a few days which was why I didn't reply, the drive was working fine, read without having something in at boot, but now the problem has just arisen again and I don't know why....

any more info needed I would be happy to provide

4. Tellytubby

Okay, problem is still hassling me. I was getting away without using the drive but now I'm trying to listen to music and the drive just isn't working. It won't read disks which are in there at boot or which are placed in afterwards. The drive code on the dvr is "DVR-108DB". It came with my medion (aldi) computer. I have tried the drivers from the medion website and they seemed to work for a while, but now the drive isn't doing anything.

It has power, will open and spins the cd, but the drive is no where to be seen on the computer. I have tried some other drivers but none of them will install, simply returning the message "no available target".

If anyone has a solution I would be most grateful,
    Andrew

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, you need no drivers for optical storage with Windows, so I'd stop trying to install drivers.

Since it's not recognized at boot time, it's obviously a hardware or jumpering issue.

When you enter the BIOS, can you check the drives that are detected and see if it sees the DVD? Have you checked the cables to the drive?

6. Tellytubby

Okay I checked the bios and the drive seems to be there:

Primary IDE Master [PIONEER DVD RW DVR- ]
    Primary IDE Slave [ST3250620A]

SATA 1 Master none
    SATA 3 Slave none
    SATA 2 Master none
    SATA 4 Slave none

Drive A none etc....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice