1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd rw drive missing in device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomcat10, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomcat10

tomcat10 Thread Starter

Hi,

I see there are other posts on this topic but so far I haven't been able to solve my problem.
    Dell XPS M1210 XP sp3
    I don't have Nero or Roxio

My dvd drive has simply disappeared from windows explorer and from Device Manager
    It doesn't respond at all when i push the eject botton.

I have tried the Upper and Lower Filters fix but beside being able to remove just the Lowers as there were no Upper, nothing has changed.

I have removed te drive and put it back into place several times

I don't think its recognized by the Bios (but I am not sure about that, what should i see when pressing F2 at start up, if it were?)

Is the drive connected by IDE or ATA?
    Under the voice IDE ATA-ATAPI controllers in Device Manager everything seems ok, so, can I ruled out a connection problem and go ahead and buy a new drive?
    I wouldn't want to get a new one to find out the problem is somewhere else.

Is there a way to find out if the connection is ok?
    I don't have another drive i can test it with unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

You would see it in the BIOS if it was correctly connected. Whether the drive is connected via ATA or IDE i don't know, only you can find that out. Take the side off of the unit and look for either a ribbon cable or a long thin cable (commonly orange) and report back which it is.

If you have a spare cable of that type, try using a different cable - there could also be a chance that the power cable going to the drive is damaged. Try reconnecting or changing the power cable on the drive.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    IDE = ATA --- SATA is the different one ...

If you cannot even open the drive, it sounds more like a power issue or the drive is totally dead. Try a different power connector, preferably on a different cable bundle from the power supply.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

By the way if you were referring to me, i forgot the S ;)

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Either of you, Maverick. The OP had written "Is the drive connected by IDE or ATA?" I figured it was just an oversight, but I tend to get anal at times. ;-)

6. tomcat10

tomcat10 Thread Starter

ok, new development:

I removed the drive from the laptop and with a pin I opened the sliding part where the dvd goes.
    I put the driver back with that sliding part open
    Started the computer and......the dvd drive was there in windows explorer and device manager!!
    Closed the sliding part and still all was ok. I thought that was it but after restarting the computer the drive had gone again!
    Repeating the operation it is just the same.
    At this point can the connection issue be ruled out? To be honest i can't see any cables looking into the laptop from the dvd drive slot and I don't dare to open the machine....
    Can i go ahead and get a new drive now?

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It does sound like the drive has passed on to the great scrap heap in the sky ...

8. tomcat10

tomcat10 Thread Starter

i did thinkso too but on second thought:
    the drive works fine when the computer is started with the drvie open, it reads and writes fine, it ejects from the eject command in the right click menu.
    At this point i start to think its actually a software related problem.....something that won't let the operating system recognize it unless is open. Very strange indeed

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That could be a driver conflict. Have you installed any new hardware or drivers recently?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice