DVD-RW Drive Not Recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kentax

I have Windows XP Home Edition on my computer.
My DVD-RW drive has been unresponsive, (it still opens and closes and I've checked the connections,) but it doesn't appear in "My Computer" and it doesn't appear on the install new hardware list. This all began after I reformatted my hard drive. I assume these errors are a driver issue, since the DVD-RW is still hooked up the same way it was as when it was still working. Please help... Thank you.

Go into device manager and locate the DVD rom.
Rightclick the device and uninstall.
Then re-boot.
When the system restarts, Windows should detect the now new device,
and re-install it.
I don't think there are any drivers needed for this device.
Most CD/DVD devices uses XP's generic drivers.
If i'm wrong, use the install CD to re-install.
See if this works...

kentax

The drive doesn't appear in the device manager either. However my other drive does.

Some CD/DVD drives don't like to be "slaved".
Have you put it as master ?
If not,try that and make sure the ide cable is firmly in place.
(As master it should be connected to the end of the cable, not the middle one)
Don't forget to put the jumpers accordingly

In most cases the drive does not care which connector it is connected to, but a bad cable can always be a problem. Check your connections first (both power and data). The connection at the IDE port on the mobo is easy to miss; make sure it is firmly in the socket.

If you can get another cable, replace the one you are using. You shouldn't need to buy one most people with computers have a few extras -- I have about a dozen of them!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online