1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-RW Drives Listed As "Local Disks" In "My Computer"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by michaeltee, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

Here's a strange one. All of my DVD-RW drives are appearing as Local Disks when I view them in "My Computer". Moist of the drives in question are external (firewire and USB) however my integrated DRD-RW is also effected. Oddly, all of the drives are fully functional when used for burning/playing media, and they all appear properly in the Windows Disk Management console and applications that would require optical media (burning software and the like). That being the case, I guess this is more in the "annoyance" category as functionality is not the problem. In any case, I have tried all the quick fixes I can think of, i.e.; change drive letters and reboot, uninstall and search for new hardware, disable/enable. In all of the above operations, the drives briefly re-appear in "My Computer", all listed simply as " CD Drive". However, once I've accessed any of the drives they revert to "Local Disk".

This is a rather new W7 x64 PC. Didn't notice anything strange with the drives initially. The problem just sort of appeared after a reboot. Any explanations/suggestions appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

You've tried loads there!

Have you tried uninstalling the Parent controller of one of the drives and restarting?
    Obviously it depends what the Parent is...

Ben

3. michaeltee

Thanks for the reply Ben. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that.

4. BenTechMac

BenTechMac

5. michaeltee

Oddly enough, I just did that today on my Vista machine but not the W7 machine in question. Good bit of info in the link though :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!