DVD RW install???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nick69

Hi guys,

I went to install my new DVD RW drive this evening and had problems.

My computer already has a CD RW drive in one slot and a DVD rom drive in another slot. I removed the DVD rom drive and replaced it with the DVD RW drive. After doing this the computer would not go past the BIOS screen or whatever its called??
I swapped the Jumper position and still nothing.
I tried lots of combinations with the jumpers on the CD RW drive and the DVD RW and i could not get the computer past that BIOS screen????

In the end i removed the CD RW drive completely and just had the DVD RW drive with the jumper set to Master and it all works perfectly!

I still want o install the CD RW drive though.
Has anyone got an idea why this happened or how i could solve it??

Thanks
Nick

"Swapping jumpers" is a little short on detail.

Each IDE (flat ribbon) cable has 2 plugs for drives.
There must only be 1 Master and 1 Slave on any IDE cable
If two Masters or 2 Slaves are present a conflict occurs.

The Hard Drive is usually Master on IDE 0, which leaves only the provision for a Slave setting on the second position on that cable.

Unless your system has IDE cables designed for Cable Select in which case all drives muxt be jumpered to that position.

Just what have you got, what have you tried?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have 80 conductor cables, I'd suggest CS (Cable Select), since that's the hardest to screw up. :) If you're using 40 conductor cables, you need to jumper one as a master, and the other as a slave.

dustyjay

Jay
A lot of DVD Writers want to be installed as master on the ide cable. To be honest, I would ditch the CDRW and keep the DVDrw as master on the secondary IDE and the DVDRom as slave on the Secondary IDE. I have found that works best for me. Your DVD writer is most likely also a cdrw so no need for two of them. both the DVDrw and the dvd rom will read CD's as well.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, I go the other way. :) The CD-RW drive probably writes CD-R media faster than the DVD-RW drive. I don't see the point in having a DVD-ROM and a DVD-RW, since there's nothing the DVD-ROM can do that the DVD-RW can't do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online