1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-RW Problem.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Robert the Bruce, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce Banned Thread Starter

Some time ago I purchased a batch of Polaroid DVD-RW's. I have had no problems with these discs with regards to the burning process. Normally, using my Convert X to DVD burning program, I insert the disc into my PC and wait for the program to parse the disc. Once parsed I see the message 'Rewritable Disc DVD-RW inserted. Ready to erase and write'.
    A few days ago I purchased a new batch of Polaroid DVD-RW's but this time almost none of them will work.
    Once the parsing process is done I see a slightly different message which reads 'Writable disc DVD-RW Sequential inserted. Ready to write'.
    I assume this message is slightly different because the disc has yet to be used. But this word 'Sequential' has got me puzzled. I know what it means in terms of dictionary definition but I'm not sure what it means in this context, i.e. with regards to a DVD-RW.
    Anyone any ideas on why these discs will not work and does this word 'sequential' have any bearing on it ?
    My O.S. is Windows XP Home.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Did any of them work ???? ... "Sequential" has me puzzled also
    I only use Verbatims, but don't use DVD-RWs .... You might want to read This

3. Robert the Bruce

Yes I've read that piece before.
    Out of the 12-pack just 5 worked.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Just because they are the same brand, does not mean they are the same discs. Polaroid is one of the many brands that rebrand discs. ie: they don't manufacturer their own discs, they buy them and put their label on them. So the actual disc type can vary from package to package. The only way to know what brand of disc you are actually using is to check the media id. For best results, use a tier 1 media.

Bottom line, your DVD drive doesn't support the media being used. Depending on the drive brand, model, and age, it can be a matter of trial and error to find a disc type that works. The easiest solution is to simply use different media. There may or may not be a firmware update for the drive which can solve some media compatibility issues.

On a side note, have you verified an/or tested the discs that worked to ensure the data is actually valid?

5. Robert the Bruce

I'm not sure what you mean by 'valid'. If you mean did they work and can the contents be viewed on a DVD player then yes they are valid.
    How do I find out if a firmware update is required ?
    As for the rest of your statement, thanks for the info.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    DVD Identifier .. If they were mine, I'd be curious who actually made the DVD for Polaroid .. (This time)
    How knows what "sub contractor" actually made the batch you have.
    Here's the report on my Verbatim DVD+R .... I think all the Verbatims are made by Mitsubishi

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      227.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    From the same site noted above: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-tests.htm

I use Nero when testing new/different brands of media. The program simply reads the entire disc and reports if there are any errors. A good burn will have zero errors. Disc errors could be the result of bad/unsupported media, a failing drive, or errors in the burning process.

As for firmware, go to the drive manufacturers website. And if there is an update, be cautious and follow the directions. A bad firmware update can/will brick the drive.

8. Robert the Bruce

Strange. As I said earlier the older batch of DVD's posed no problems and once parsed (by Convert X to DVD) the word 'sequential' was not present. I inserted one of the older discs into the PC and waited for Convert X to parse the disc. This time, the word 'sequential' appeared (see post#1) but instead of a failed burn this time it worked. Seems 'sequential' is not relevant with regards to burning.

9. Robert the Bruce

I had a wee look around and noticed that my write speed was set to 'Fastest' (see screenshot 1) so I changed it to 4x. Looking at the screenshot does this apply to CD's only ? However when burning with Nero or Convert X the speed is set to 4x anyway. Or does the Internal DVD/CD Writer take precedence over the burning programs ? Perhaps the speed of the DVD burner was set too fast, IF it takes precedence, then what's the point in setting the burn speed on burning programs ? You know, if that will be overruled by the burner anyway.

Attached Files:

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    There are two stages of ConvertX (which I havent used in quite awhile). First, the input files get converted to DVD video spec. Secondly, the files are burned.

As for burning, as you have it set, it will burn (or try to burn) at 4x. I leave mine set to AUTO and the write speed is then determined by the inserted media.

11. Robert the Bruce

Which one do you leave set at AUTO ? The Internal burner or the burning program ? Or both ? Come to think of it, I don't think the internal burner has an AUTO setting, at least mine doesn't.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  12. Robert the Bruce

Also, can my 3 questions in post#9 be answered if possible ?

13. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

This might be a problem with Windows XP being not supported and old software using new disks. You could try buying another 50 disks and see what happens.

14. Robert the Bruce

Maybe the smallest batch I can find.:)
    Thanks for your help.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The internal drive has maximum burning speeds; that's what you see.
    You select the burn speed in the burning program.

Now a days, it is pretty hard to get a bad CD burn so there the max that the drive can handle is fine.
    DVDs , on the other hand, can still be picky. I rarely go for top speed. I slow it down and verify so I know the burn is good.

I've used DVDs that people post as being crap. Rarely do I get a bad burn.
    I have Office Depot (got a few free in cases with a purchase) HP, LG, Memorex, Maxell, Verbatim and probably 1 or 2 other brands stashed somewhere.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice