1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-RW Recommendations

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by masica, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masica

masica Thread Starter

Since more and more software/games are being released on DVD and back-up capacity is ever increasing, I need a DVD-RW for my PC. I'll give my system specs and set-up and please recommend a dependable, economical unit.

Specs: 6-year-old home-built PC. ASUS P4B266-C mobo, Intel P4 2.4Mhz Northwood CPU, 2GB PC2700 DDR memory, 80 GB 7200 RPM WD HDD, PlexWriter 40/12/40A CD-RW, LiteOn 52X CD, W2K Pro/XP Pro dual boot OS.

The PlexWriter and LiteOn are on one IDE channel with the PlexWriter set as master and the LiteOn as slave. My WD HDD is on the other IDE channel. I want to replace the PlexWriter master with a new DVD-RW unit as master.

What would be a good unit? Thanks.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

3. masica

masica Thread Starter

There's nothing wrong with the PlexWriter, it writes/burns music and audio CDs perfectly fine. The problem is capacity. As I said, many games and software are now GBs long, not MBs.

The PlexWriter will not read or write DVDs, it's a CD-RW and is restricted to about 750 MBs. The LiteOn is just a 52X CD-R.

I'll look over the reviews and I did check out Newegg after I posted my original note. Looks like I can find something for around $30 or so.

Thanks.

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I understand, but you said you will be replacing the Plex, not the inferior Lite-on.

5. masica

masica Thread Starter

The Plex reads and writes only CDs, not DVDs, and is limited to about 750 MB per CD. The LiteOn is just a CD reader, no writing.

I suppose I could ditch the LiteOn reader, make the Plex the slave and a new DVD-RW unit the master.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice