DVD-RW suddenly cannot read DVDs, can read CDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DocShock

After burning a DVD today on my Micro Solutions DVD-/+RW I could suddenly no longer read DVDs on that Drive. I have no idea what happen. At first I thought the drive was gone, but I put a CD in it and it reads it just fine.

I uninstalled the driver and the associated programs (i.e. powerDVD etc) and then reinstalled them and then re-did the UDB connection to the computer - it auto-detected it, and then said new device ready to use (using XP by the way). Still didn't work for DVDs, just CDs. I also updated the driver - still nothing.

Under my computer it is listed as a DVD-/+RW, so I cannot understand why it won't play DVDs, just CDs. It's as if the ability to play/burn DVDs has suddenly be locked out.

Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thank you.

DocShock

Update:

The device manager says it's working properly.

The problems occured after attempting to erase a DVD+RW using Deepburner. Basically I burnt a DVD and then tried out Deepburner to see if it would erase the DVD+RW. When I attempted to eject the DVD it wouldn't eject- the green light just kept flashing a couple times. Eventually I had to turn my PC off and unhook the USB connection and power connection and then do everything back up and restart the computer. Finally the DVD would eject, but since then will not read any DVDs, just CD's and CD-ROM.

The model is an external (USB) Micro-Solutions 2244010 (but really a NEC_DVD-RW, ND-1300A).

I updated the firmware to 1.0A about 6 months ago. I never had a single problem with this drive before or after updating the Firmware.

I really have no idea how or why this could have happened. I can play the DVDs in my other DVD drive just fine.

Please help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online