1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD showing as "blank"

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cpg2011, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpg2011

cpg2011 Thread Starter

Please help,

I have had a call from my mother who a few years back put all of her home videos onto DVD using a video to dvd recording unit. These DVDs recorded successfully as in the weeks/months following these DVDs have done the rounds of friends and family and played on a variety of other DVD players or PCs.

Yesterday she attempted to play one of these DVDs when a friend came around and the DVD is being read as a "blank disc", she tried it in her desktop PC to see if it was the DVD player not working correctly and again it is showing as a "blank disc". She then tried several different DVDs that were all recorded around the same time, plus the many 'back up / spare versions' she has created just in case this happened - however all are showing as "blank disc". I have tried them in my laptop and the same thing is happening.

When you look physically at the DVD you can see where something has been burned onto it, but it is not showing anything when a dvd or PC tries to read it.

Please help - I am not sure what to try and I have a very distraught parent who thinks she may have lost over 50 years of memories.....

What can I try?

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

She didn't finalize the discs.

3. cpg2011

cpg2011 Thread Starter

Ah,

Does that mean all is lost or is there some way of recovering the data on them?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Obviously the disk was finalized because it's been playing fine until now.

The disk has probably been damaged. Since you can't read it on multiple devices, that's the most likely problem. It's unfortunate that she kept only 1 copy of 50 years of memory on a piece of plastic that she passed around to many people. She should have made several copies keeping one in a safe deposit box.

Some people have had luck with ISOBuster.
    http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php

5. cpg2011

cpg2011 Thread Starter

Will try ISObuster.

She did make 3 copies of each DVD, and there were about 30 different ones, but they all are doing the same thing.....

Would it be something to do with the brand of DVD, eg, a faulty batch of them or something??

Thanks

C

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's an important piece of information missing here if 3 copies of the same disk worked perfectly fine up until exactly the same moment when they ceased to be readable on multiple devices and computers. I can't think of a technical explanation for that.

7. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Maybe in other situations.
    This is a myth. A "batch" of discs is hundreds of thousands of discs, sometimes millions. You'd better believe that a "bad batch" would be caught before a manufacturer released them to the public.

~~~~~~~~~

As mentioned already -- some key info is missing.
    There's no explanation for this, based on the info so far.

And I'm still not convinced that the discs are finalized.

8. antimoth

antimoth

If the disks were not finalized, I didn't think they could be read in other players?

So you got 90 DVD's and they are all bad? Or was it 30 DVD's. Are they all the same manufacturer? Did they all have sticky labels?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice