1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD sound distorts and fades in and out

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by solidius, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

I'm not sure where to post this in the forum, I'm hoping this is the right section. Whenever I try to play a DVD in my laptop, the sound gets all messed up. It fades in and out, distorts, and makes WEIRD noises related to the distortion I assume. I can watch ANY type of video file and not a have problem, even watch AVI's burned onto a DVD, but whenever I try to put a DVD in the sounds gets all messed up. I just recently got an I/O magic external DVD burner, but I haven't played DVD's in my laptop for about 2 months so I don't know how long this has been going on. However I'm not sure this is related because there was no install software. It works as soon as you plug it in basically. Plus I tried unplugging the DVD burner and I still get the same result. Anyways, ALL help is appreciated.

2. Yager

Yager

I'm gusseing it's taking too much power from you CPU and cannot push a DVD, I'm having the same prob on my Desktop since I put in a very powefull DVD/CD Player burner.

I don't know how to fix it either other than getting a new more powerfull CPU. :mad:

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Have you tried playing a DVD with the external?

4. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

I have actually tried playing it in the external and I still get the same result. I'm at a total loss here. I'm usually pretty computer savvy, but I'm not understand this one AT ALL.

5. bonk

bonk Banned

I assume you've cleaned the disk and tried others.

6. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

I've tried a few different discs, and I get the same result with them all. And I tried cleaning them too, but a couple of em are practically brand new. Like I said, I'm at a total loss here.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Is it just the sound only but the image is alright??

8. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

Yeah the image is perfectly fine, just the sound is all messed up.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you tried it with different players like PowerDVD or some others coild be a codec problem.

10. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

I've tried powerdvd, intervideo, windows media, real player and I get the same result. As far as I know I have the most recent codecs.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Try this player, it needs no codecs to be installed.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

13. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

That video lan player plays dvd's fine so far. So what do I have to do to get intervideo or media player to work? This has to be some sort of codec issue then, right? They use to play dvd's just fine. Am I gonna have to re install all my codecs or something?

14. solidius

solidius Thread Starter

By the way mystic eyes, thanks for that link. The player works GREAT. I think I'm gonna use it as my default from now on. When you said it doesn't need codecs to be installed, it still has to USE the codecs on my computer to decode the video right? Just wondering how it works.

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

No, it's more or less self contained and doesn't rely on installing or installed codecs you may have.

If you want to try one more thing install this, and see if it helps, if not, it is easily removed though add/remove.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/405213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice