1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Sound Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TommyC306, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

:( Can anybody please help this old boy!! I have problems when playing DVD's, the picture is fine, but the sound is all broken up and it is driving me crackers, I have tried all sorts of stuff apart from putting in a new sound card, but I do not think that would solve the problem, because CD's play perfectly!! It is only the sound that causes the problem when being viewed with a movie. I have two DVD Drives and both give the same problem, so it is not a faulty drive (I hope!) I did update firmware on one of them and thought perhaps that was the cause, but as I said before both have the same problem and were not together when I updated. Any ideas anyone?:confused:

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

What are your machine specs?

3. xtreampb

xtreampb

do your drives have a port for a media cable. and the same thing for your mother board.

the cable looks like this
    [​IMG]

there should be a slot on the back of the drive on the left side and a simular port on your mother board

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Definitely the most likely suspect...

5. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

yes there was one and it was attached to my cd drive and when I replaced it with a DVD Drive I connected it in the same lodcation. I then read in a manual that it was not necessary, so I disconnected it,I have the same problem with or without it. Should I reconnect it to the master or the slave? I now seem to have lost one of my drives (again) I am about to disconnect the new drive and take it back to the store. Hopefully for a refund!! I guess I will still have the sound problem though. Thanks so far for the interest. Regards Tom.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

When you go back to the store, get an 80 wire IDE cable. Set both of the drives to Cable Select. My next suspicion would be a faulty cable.

7. xtreampb

xtreampb

if it is a newer mobo no it is not nessacary but it wont have the connection on the mobo if you have the option hook it up to take some of the stress off of the cables. also you hook up the media cable up to the drive that us used most often for sound.

8. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for the feed back, I must admit I am a little confused, (the old grey cells are getting greyer!!) I am now back to a cd drive and a dvd drive. The dvd is master and the cd is slave the ide cable is the 40 wire type and the audio cable is attached to the dvd. I dont know if it is possible to put the audio cable in upside down, as it seems to fit both ways, is this really necessary as I thought the ide cable did the work and this was only for audio piracy problems?. Can a 80 pin ide cable replace a 40 wire cable I must admit in my ignorance it does seem like a dodgy connection problem. Any thoughts?

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, 80 wire cable can replace 40 wire. If what you are experiencing is that audio sounds like it "echos" and there is a slight lag between audio and video, you might also try re-installing Windows Media Player (been there, done that).

10. DeLorean

DeLorean

Yes, the 80 wire cables still have only 40 pins and fit the same 40 pin slot (except on VERY old boards.) The difference being that the 80 wire cable has a grounded or dead wire in between each data wire that stops "signal bleed" from happening, signal bleed only became prevalent as newer, faster drives required a stronger signal to be sent down the cable. When the 33mbps DMA standard upped to Ultra DMA 66 it wasn's such a problem but UDMA 133 harddrives will not even work unless they have an 80 pin cable, as signal bleed would destroy any data sent.

I'm not convinced this is your problem though, as harddrive file transfer is so fast these days that even UDMA 133 is being replaced by SATA 150 but even the fastest DVD-ROM's still generally need no more than standard DMA 33. But you can never go wrong with 80 pin cables and they are cheap.

My only guess at this stage without knowing more is that you have both DVD and HD on the same cable? If you did then the sound would jerk whenever the harddrive tried to do anything as most DVD drives tend to read ahead with video but load sound straightaway so the video may remain unbroken.

11. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

My Computer was first assembled in Nov 2001, does that make it 'old' by todays standards. I have DVD and Cd on one IDE cable (secondary) the hard drive is on its own on the primary ide, thought I had cracked it but it is still 'warbley' (if that is a word). Cant hurt to changed to 80 wire though. and I have again today reinstalled windows media player 11, but I grt the problem on any media player, have also reinstalled audio and video drivers. I am running out of ideas.!!!Thanks for all advice so far.

12. bigbear

bigbear

13. TommyC306

TommyC306 Thread Starter

OOOPS! I think I may have mis-lead everyone and myself, the problem seems to be the sound and picture are in slow motion, as if there is not enough oomph to drive it at full speed, I have noticed that my system seems to have slowed down generally, but I have recently reinstalled xp, defragged and virus checked no obvious problems I have 376 mb of ram and this has always worked everything ok in the past but it seems that when I play a dvd and need sound and video, it can't cope.Could I have a hardware problem elsewhere. Maybe I should just stick to my bowls (lawn green that is!) I can just about cope with that.

14. bigbear

bigbear

It would appear your system is not up to the job you are asking it to do.
    What are your system specs?
    If it only has 376mb of ram then I suspect its quite old

15. xtreampb

xtreampb

the processor may not be fast enough
    and today, with ur comp being bout 6 years old, your will have to upgrade the mobo if you upgrade your processor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice