1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Tray Won't Open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hairy-o, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hairy-o

Hairy-o Thread Starter

The DVD tray won't open when push the button on the front of the DVD drive. This happens every once in awhile. Is this simply a hardware malfunction or is there something missing in the drivers?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3071 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 35291 MB, Free - 6028 MB; E: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 74663 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A8N-SLI Premium
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It'll likely be a physical hardware failure. You can go to My Computer, right click on the drive, and click on Eject and see if that works. If not new drives are dirt cheap.

3. ashley1969

ashley1969

Or, if you get really stuck, open up a paper clip, and push the end of it gently into the hole on the front of the drive. It should then pop out a bit, allowing you to open the drive fully to retrieve or put in a disc.
    New dvd drives are around $5-6 though.

Yes, as Snagglegaster says, switch off first

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

If you try opening the drive with a paper clip, you should do it when the system is turned off, or you are likely to damage the drive. Sometimes, a stuck drive that'a been opened with a paper clip will work fine for a long, long time. Unfortunately, what usually happens is that the drive continues to malfunction and requires replacement. Ashley1969, I don't think there are many new DVD burners to be had quite as cheaply as $5-$6, but if you have some, and you'll accept a purchase order in lieu of cash, we should talk.:)

5. ashley1969

ashley1969

I not seen Burners for that price either, I only said dvd Drives.. ;-) and I have bought 2 for the kids pcs for $5 each, in a local store. Original post didn't mention a Burner drive.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

That's absolutely right. And I stand most humbly corrected. Just couldn't resist pulling your chain a bit. Lots of folks are sloppy about terminology, which is one of the things that makes online support difficult. Anyway, if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck in the Texas Panhandle, I owe you a coffee.

7. ashley1969

ashley1969

Hey, it's all good, I'm new here, I just joined to put the post that is above yours. Thought I'd give first, just in case I need help sometime too. Hope we not hijacking this post now... ;-)

8. managed

managed Allan

Sometimes these drives will open more often when there is a disk inside than when they're empty.

9. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

It's good that you want to help rather than be a part of the problem:) I think if you are fairly new to support forums, you will find that their are leeches and blood donors without much middle ground. Strangely enough, on forums the blood donors are at the top of the food chain. Of course, you need some ego to back it up, but you might be there.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038688