1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD videos not playing, software crashing or freezing

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by purple_monkfish, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purple_monkfish

purple_monkfish Thread Starter

New installation of XP, after many many years of 2k.
    Well, we've encountered our first issue. While my dvd player can quite happily read and play games on DVD and CD, movies just will not play. It isn't that it can't detect them, it detects them just fine... Power DVD crashes (it IS power dvd 5 but still, it should still work) it just sits for a while doing nothing then closes.
    Windows media player doesn't have the right codex and when I try to look at the advanced dvd options is freezes.
    Real Player also freezes when I tell it to play a DVD

Could this be a codex issue?

My DVD player is an LG DVD burner of some description, it's a good few years old but WAS running just fine before 2k decided to destroy itself. I've been running Linux for months and since then various bits of kit have just ceased to work. (My scanner also seems to have failed despite updating it's drivers, but that's a different story)

Now, bearing in mind i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computer related things, does anyone have any suggestions and useful links? I'm thinking it might be video card or codex related maybe? given every program is crashing it suggests it's an issue with the dvd playing rather than one piece of software.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice