1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD wont play

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JenArt, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenArt

JenArt Thread Starter

Hi I have a DVD which we have made from an old cine film which had been transferred to a VHS video. The DVD will play on my Windows 7 laptop but it will not play on my friends Window Vista laptop. Also it will not play on a DVD player. Any ideas why it will not play? Thanks JenArt

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The first thing to check is that your hardware can play the DVD you have used to burn the film on.
    ie: If it is a DVD+RW some will not play that.

The second thing to check insofar as relates to the computer, as against the DVD player, although the same principal regarding the type of DVD applies to that as well, is that you have the right codecs installed to play that DVD.

What are you using to play it - ie WMP or some other program.
    Having assured yourself it is the CORRECT type of DVD write. If it is a matter of WMP and codecs you would receive a message to that effect.

If it is an issue with WMP TRY this. It is free and will play many formats that WMP rejects
    http://www.videolan.org/

3. JenArt

JenArt Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Still trying to sort out the problem. May be because it is on a DVD+ RW it will not play on my friends windows vista laptop. She said no messages came up other than no disk or disk empty I am going to download it onto my laptop (windows 7) and then burn it to another DVD using windows DVD maker and try on her laptop again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!