1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD writer problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steviejay, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

Hello and a happy new year to all, i recently updated my firmware on my pioneer 106 dvd writer and since then it will not recognize a single disc i have, every time i put a disc in (cd or dvd) it says no disc is in the drive, it is not media related as all my discs are quality media and have previously been "seen" by the drive....................plz help

Steve

2. illidan

illidan

IF you have a recent system restore tab thats before the Firmware update and recent enough that you wont lose too much data, just rollback to that tab and just not upgrade again. However thats the easy way out. and may not work if you dont have a recent enough system restore.

3. qldit

qldit

Good Evening steviejay, updating the firmware on them is a bit like playing Russian Roulette, there is a not a great deal of room for error.
    Is there any chance of there being an older firmware that might be reloaded.
    I suspect you might be in the market for a new toy.
    qldit.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the drive still recognizes the firmware loading process, I'd follow qldit's advice and attempt to restore a different version.

Just curious, what made you want to tinker with the firmware? I have that drive, and I feel no urge to update it's firmware.

5. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

I tried the system restore route but that didnt help. I only upgraded the firmware because the drive didnt certain brands of media but obviously now wish i hadnt bothered, i will try some old firmware version and let you guys know

6. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

i tried installing an older firmware but it wouldnt let me :mad:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may indeed have a doorstop at this point. I suppose you could try sending it back to Pioneer. :)

8. qldit

qldit

Good Morning gentlemen, it seems that older firmware can not be loaded over newer with those firmware files.
    If the utility still functions you could try specifically following the destructions with another confirmed copy of the proper file directly from Pioneer.
    Maybe a later firmware might be available in the near future that might load.
    At least one thing is in your favour, the price of new drives has dropped!
    qldit.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice