1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-Writer trouble ...please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mukilan, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mukilan

mukilan Thread Starter

Hi,
    Recently my system (HP w5160in : Windows xp sp2 home) got infected with virus and so i backed up my system bu using norton ghost and burned the backups to 10 DVD'S(each 4.8gb) using my HP DVD WRITER 640b : 16x with lightscribe enabled .After taking the backups i reinstalled the system completey.After that my dvd writer continued to work perfectly and i even burned 2 cds with it.But suddenly it stopped workin.
    that is,the dvd writer is recognised in bios,windows and by all softwares.But the problem is i am not able to open(read) or write any cd's or dvd's using it.

For example when i insert a movie or game dvd/cd , the light in the dvd drive lights up and blinks as it used to do before.But after some time the light goes out and nothing happens.
    When i open the drive using explorer its empty.
    What could be the problem..please help me

Thanks in advance

2. Bigfella

Bigfella

if your burners under waranty take it out of your computer and return it to the store they will replace it imediatly if you have a good relationship with it and tell them what happened and theat you didn't open the computer or move it bump it ect.

Although you could always go to the device manager and uninstall it then search for new hardware.

3. mukilan

mukilan Thread Starter

My warranty period is over ...so i cant get it replaced....also i tried uninstalling the IDE connector using device manger and the let xp detect the new hardware....it doesn't work still

4. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    oh exactly what just happened yesterday to two of my comps. the light blinks 3 times then nada. have uninstalled and reinstalled. no virus to my knowledge and shows working correctly in device manager.

5. mukilan

mukilan Thread Starter

did it work after u uninstalled and reinstalled it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice