1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD writing

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pkngster, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Hi, Please try not to laugh too much at the following, but I'm really stuck.

I have a DVD R/RW drive, I have also brought some DVD + RW 4x max speed 4.7GB disks, but when I try to copy stuff to DVD, photos, backing up files etc, the PC keeps telling me that the disk are protected and won't let me copy anything to them.

If I use a disk that has already had something copied onto it but still has plenty of room left on it, it will still not let me copy any files over to it.

I just want to be able to back things up!, any help would be great.

Thanks,

P. :(

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Discs are created with one continuous track that spirals outward to the edge. Once a burning process is completed, the track is ended unless you make the disc a multi-session disc.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How are you trying to copy files to the DVDs? If you're running Windows XP, you need to use a DVD burning program.

4. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Shadow, Okay, so it is not like a video or a cassette then, I cannot use the same disc to record several different things?, so how would I make a disc muti session, I am a real beginer!.

Double, I am not using a dvd burning package, i am just opening up the control panel and a couple of windows and dragging and dropping the items from one window to the dvd drive window.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't drag and drop files onto a DVD with Windows XP. Is that the OS you're running? It would help if you could provide more information.

I can't think of anything you'd open in Control Panel to start burning a DVD or dragging and dropping files. Are you confusing Control Panel with My Computer?

As far as I know you can burn multiple sessions to a DVD. I don't do it because there's a reliability and compatibility risk. But it should work.

6. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

The only way to use a DVD disk just like the old A drive diskette (open, drag, and drop files) is if your computer came wtih Drive Letter Access which is often pre-installed on computers from Dell and other major manufucturors. With DLA, you can first format the disk (right-click on drive's icon and go to format) and then use it just like you would with an A drive diskette except that you cannot delete data that you once saved unless the DVD disk is +RW or -RW. But I strongly recommend that you not use this method (DLA) to burn a disk as it'll be only readable on other computers with DLA. It is pretty standard to use a DVD burning software to burn data or media DVD, to add files to yet to be closed DVD disks, or make disks compatible with other DVD drives. Roxio Media Creator and Nero are amont the most popular ones. If your computer came with the DVD drive, the chances are your computer already has one of these programs.

7. pkngster

pkngster Thread Starter

Double, sorry I did mean my computer, and yes I am running windows xp.

NYC, thanks for your comments, I'll check out some packages and see what is best.

Thank you all for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!