1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVDRW and CDRW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by padutch, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Have both in my PC . Question is do they make a special disc for the DVDRW and if so can I use the same kind in a CDRW ?

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

Most of the DVD burners can use DVD-R or DVD+R media. I stick with the DVD-R type so my 4 year old DVD player will run them. They can also burn CD-R and CD-RW media. Check your manual for limitations.

DVD-RW, DVD+RW and CD-RW media can be erased and written again, but the cost of the media can be high.

Many newer CD burners will read DVD disks. You will see the DVD-ROM logo on them. A CD-RW drive will burn a CD at a slightly faster speed than a combo drive, but it's probably not a huge difference.

The Lightscribe feature is nice, but the cost of Lightscribe media is pretty steep. I use a Sharpie to label my media, although some on here might quibble on that one.

You may notice problems if you have 2 high-speed optical drives in your system. Some brands of DVD burners don't play well with others, especially CD-RW drives in the 40x and up range.

If you burn a CD or DVD and the disk cannot be read, use a slower burn speed. I have a second system with a 12x CD drive in it. It could not properly read a CD I burned at 40x, but liked the one I did at 8x.

3. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

OK here is what I have HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B [CD-ROM drive]
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A [CD-ROM drive]

( DVD-RW, DVD+RW and CD-RW media can be erased and written again, but the cost of the media can be high. ) Will these work in both drives and if so to what advantage ? More space ? And what is estimate cost ?

4. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

Blank DVD media will store about 4 GB of data (files or about 2 hours of video). Blank CD media will store about 700 MB of data. The CD burner will not burn DVD media, but the DVD burner may burn CD media, depending on the make.

Rewriteable DVD-RW disks are $1.00 and up per disk. Rewritable CD (CD-RW) media are about $.80 per disk. Both can be written and erased up to 1,000 times each. Unless you plan to use the media over and over again with the potential for losing data, get the kind you can burn once: DVD-R, DVD+R or CD-R. Wal-Mart and other outlets sometimes offer decent prices for spindles of blank media.

Rewritable disks also burn at a slower rate. That might be a hassle if you are in a hurry because you should erase the media before burning. It's very hard to add more stuff to optical media because of the way they are burned.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!