1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVDRW Driver problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcc661, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

Ok, I bought a new computer in March against my instinct, getting one that runs Vista. The DVDRW drive worked for a couple months or so, but then kept coming up with the same error. When checking Hardware Profiles, it tells me that the driver failed to load, and is either corrupt or missing. I keep telling it to reinstall the driver, and it fails to install. I went to the company's website, downloaded their driver, and it told me that I don't have that drive, yet my computer tells me I do, just no driver. I know it's the right driver, but nothing I've tried works. I don't know what all you need in the way of information to help me, but just ask and I'll try to provide it. Any help with this would be great!

2. Flags

Flags

What kind of computer is it? At six months of age, it should still be under warranty.
    Contact the builder.

3. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

The computer is an HP Pavilion slimline s7713w PC. I got it from Wal-Mart. The drive is a Lite-On SHM-165H65 DVDRW. I'm sure it is under warrenty, but I'm rather reluctant to call anyone about it if all I'm going to hear is that it needs to be sent off for servicing. I use the computer too much to go without it for very long.

4. Flags

Flags

I don't know much about Vista, but I assume it has a Device Manager. If so, go there and Click on the + sign beside the CR Rom Drives, right click on the drive itself and choose Remove. This should remove the DVDRW from the list. Restart your computer.
    It should find New Hardware and install a driver for it.
    That's the way it works in XP anyway.
    Good luck.

5. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

I've done that countless times now. Each time it tries to install windows' generic cdrom driver for it, and each time it fails. The file itself is the problem I think, but I can't do anything about it. I tried deleting the file it's installing the driver from, but even as the administrator on this computer, I still don't have the authority.

On second thought, that wouldn't explain why the driver I got from Lite-On's website failed too. I couldn't find a loose connection anywhere, and this computer was not designed to come apart easily, nor was it designed to have the basic hardware ever changed. So, replacing the drive won't work. I'm going to try a few more things, mostly out of desperation rather than any hope of seeing results, and if anyone has any more ideas, please share!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No drivers are required for a DVD drive in Vista except the default one. Whatever you downloaded is not the correct driver.

Can you uninstall the downloaded driver or somehow remove the files that you installed?

What file do you believe the driver is being installed from?

When you remove the driver for that device in Device Manager and reboot, what appears in DM for that drive and what are the properties?

7. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

The default one is the one that stopped working. When it did, I tried to install the driver from the Lite-On website. It failed to install, telling me that I didn't have that drive, when I know it matched the drive I have.

Can't remove it, as it never installed.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys is what the device properties screen tells me the driver is trying to load from.

The device manager screen tells me "the device driver is either missing or corrupt (code 39)". After checking the drive itself over, it at least gives me the right model and everything. It just can't load the driver, or won't. And I'd love to tell you what the properties are, but unfortunately this computer is just now refusing to open the device manager. The previous bit I typed from memory, I've seen it so often.

And as a sidenote, after much effort, I managed to trade out the drive with one from my previous computer. Said computer is currently non-functional, but the drive is good. I encountered the exact same problem, so it's not the drive.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If there was a driver on that site, it could not have been for Vista since there are none.

You probably should run a scan with HijackThis to be sure that there are no other problems, but it is quite possible that the driver is not the problem and that the drive has failed. Can you try the drive in another machine (and do not load any drivers!)?

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I also support the "broken drive" theory here. That would stop the default drivers (and I agree, you never need drivers for Windows Vista, for a CD or DVD drive) from loading.

Time for a return trip.

10. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

The only other computer I have isn't working at the moment. I took the cd drive from it, knowing that the drive itself has no problems, and put it in instead to see if it was the drive. I figured that if the older drive worked fine, the problem was in the drive that came with my computer. However, I had the exact same error with it as I did with the newer drive. Device Manager recognized the drive properly but then informed me that the driver was missing or corrupt (code 39 (whatever that means)). I tried explaining this in my last post, but thought I'd elaborate a bit here. I believe that the drive itself is fine. I do not have a way to be sure of this at home, but I'm fairly confident the problem lies with the software used to operate the drive.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There is no "software used to operate the drive" outside of the standard Windows interface, running over the motherboard chipset hardware (and thos drivers).

I would try reloading the moherboard chipset drivers for Vista from the computer makers site, it's possible that the correct chipset drivers have malfunctioned for that chipset, limiting the ability for it to correctly interface with the drive.

If that is the case, you are looking at the drive without any luck when you may need to look at the motherboard end of things.

HP should have all motherboard drivers needed. Just don't get confused looking for DVD drivers.

12. mcc661

mcc661 Thread Starter

Got it, thanks. I'll try it now, and come back later to let you know how it went.

Edit: Your suggestion didn't work, but it got me on the right track. Once at HP's website, after looking through downloads, a troubleshooting link caught my eye, and I thought "what could it hurt". They had me delete the lowerfilter registry entry and reboot, and now it works. So, thanks for all your help. I'm gonna go feel stupid now. Especially knowing that I should have thought to look there first.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. lwdave

lwdave

I found this forum searching for a solution to the same problem, cd gone worked like a miracle. These dead end driver problems just lost their mystery, I'm a fan for life!

-Dave

15. dollarbillme

dollarbillme

Very nice utility. I have seen this problem before and was unable to reslove it. Unistalling, reinstalling drives wont work. Also a Windows XP repair installation will not resolve the problem either. I even went as far to copy new cdrom.sys and redbook files with no luck. Thanks for the fix! I will be checking here more often.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice