1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD's Lagging During Playback

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by 2RCHH, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2RCHH

2RCHH Thread Starter

Howdy,

I would consider myself blessed beyond belief if you guys might be able to help me out with my DVD's lagging. I got a new laptop for Christmas and it runs like a dream except for when it tries to play DVD's, it lags a little with both the video and sound. I've been working on it for a while and I can rule out the following:

-Media Player (I've tried 7 players so far and all skip)
    - DMA (this is selected and unselecting it does not help)
    - Background programs (Kaspersky is currently running in the background but this issue has occured even when nothing but system stuff is running)
    - Screen/Resolution (I've set the graphics to 486 levels and it still happens)
    - Hardware acceleration (set to full)
    - DVD Driver (uninstalled and re-installed)

The computer info is:

Gateway
    XP MCE (SP2)
    Centrino Duo 1.60GHz
    .99 Gig Ram
    CD/DL DVD Burner

If you all need any further info, let me know and I'll do my best. I would truly appreciate any help with this. It is a new machine and I have a feeling it is a simple thing that I am overlooking.

Thanks!

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

Have you tried copying the DVD to your hard drive and seeing if the problem occurs if you play back from there too ? It would either eliminate or point the finger at your DVD drive as the culprit depending on the outcome ...

3. 2RCHH

2RCHH Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ripped and transferred from DVD's and CD's and the files played fine. I figured this proved the DVD drive is working alright but maybe it's the play back. Any suggestions?

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

If the files run fine from your hard drive but they apparently dont run fine from your dvd drive (you can rip/transfer but playback from dvd drive lags) then thats where your problem most likely lies . Try disabling all unnecessary processes then play your dvd ...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!