DVDs not playing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lizziedobson

DVDs have stopped working very suddenly. The DVD driver is recognised on "My Computer" and in Devices Manager it says that it is working properly, but the DVD itself is not recognised and will not play in media player or vlc. When I put a disc in, scanning noises continue for a very long time, then the DVD is ejected. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, cleaning the lens and rebooting, but nothing has worked. Thanks for any help.

Optical drive devices do not unfortunately last forever,its quite possible its time to say goodbye to this device.

lizziedobson

My laptop is refurbished, so that could be it. But I only got it a few weeks ago and up until yesterday the dvd drive had shown no signs of deterioration. If it is a mechanical problem, do you know how to rewire it? I am reluctant to send my laptop for repairs because I need to use it all the time.

I would doubt it needs rewiring but perhaps someone else will have some more constructive advise.

Oddba11

Jim
Test with a different disc. Disc recognition is a hardware function of the CD/DVD drive, so if it's not properly recognizing discs, the drive is likely faulty.

What is the drive status in Device Manager? You can try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and rebooting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online