DVDs not recognized in ubuntu karmic

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ianerick

Ubuntu seems to simply ignore DVDs while CDs open up right away. i have the DVDr, DVD+RW tools installed through apt-get, i'm using GNOME and Nautilus for burning. i little while ago, after i had taken a break from trying to fix it for a while, the pop-up randomly appeared saying i had just inserted blank DVD. i tried to burn something on it and nautilus tells me the DVD only has 294MB on it. i just purchased these, and even if they were in use they're +RW so it shouldn't matter. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? thank you in advance.

TerryNet

Terry
Your optical drive does read or read and write DVDs? If so, DVD+RW disks are compatible with it?

Please don't regard these as dumb questions. Went a long time in one recent thread until the OP realized his DVD-R discs weren't compatible and in another thread until the OP realized his optical drive wrote CDs but not DVDs. :)

ianerick

yes their compatible, on the front of the drive it has DVD R/RW, DVD+RW, and CD.

Ok, another one of those dumb questions. Are you sure the DVD write function works on this drive, have you written to a DVD on it recently with a different operating system? Reason i ask is because i have quite a few combo drives in the junk box that i have replaced for people that will write cd`s and play DVD movies fine, but will not see or write to a blank DVD on any operating system. You could have a firmware problem with the drive.

Ubuntu seems to simply ignore DVDs while CDs open up right away. i have the DVDr, DVD+RW tools installed through apt-get, i'm using GNOME and Nautilus for burning. i little while ago, after i had taken a break from trying to fix it for a while, the pop-up randomly appeared saying i had just inserted blank DVD. i tried to burn something on it and nautilus tells me the DVD only has 294MB on it. i just purchased these, and even if they were in use they're +RW so it shouldn't matter. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? thank you in advance.
Playing and navigating through DVDs requires a proprietary codec which doesn't come with ubuntu but can be installed.

Open terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and type in the following code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4
That's purely for DVD Videos, but upon installing those packages, my DVD burner started working as well. Hope it also works for you :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online