1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVDs not recognized in ubuntu karmic

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ianerick, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ianerick

ianerick Thread Starter

Ubuntu seems to simply ignore DVDs while CDs open up right away. i have the DVDr, DVD+RW tools installed through apt-get, i'm using GNOME and Nautilus for burning. i little while ago, after i had taken a break from trying to fix it for a while, the pop-up randomly appeared saying i had just inserted blank DVD. i tried to burn something on it and nautilus tells me the DVD only has 294MB on it. i just purchased these, and even if they were in use they're +RW so it shouldn't matter. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? thank you in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your optical drive does read or read and write DVDs? If so, DVD+RW disks are compatible with it?

Please don't regard these as dumb questions. Went a long time in one recent thread until the OP realized his DVD-R discs weren't compatible and in another thread until the OP realized his optical drive wrote CDs but not DVDs. :)

3. ianerick

ianerick Thread Starter

yes their compatible, on the front of the drive it has DVD R/RW, DVD+RW, and CD.

4. itsjusme

itsjusme

Ok, another one of those dumb questions. Are you sure the DVD write function works on this drive, have you written to a DVD on it recently with a different operating system? Reason i ask is because i have quite a few combo drives in the junk box that i have replaced for people that will write cd`s and play DVD movies fine, but will not see or write to a blank DVD on any operating system. You could have a firmware problem with the drive.

5. cancon

cancon

Playing and navigating through DVDs requires a proprietary codec which doesn't come with ubuntu but can be installed.

Open terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and type in the following code:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 libdvdread4 libdvdnav4
    That's purely for DVD Videos, but upon installing those packages, my DVD burner started working as well. Hope it also works for you :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice