DVDs suddenly choppy on computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JX48

Earlier this week I tried to play a Blu-ray disc on my computer and when it opened with PowerDVD the playback was choppy (kind of slow motion - playing for a second and then freezing, again and again). It affected both video and audio, although sometimes the audio would not play at all. I tried several different normal DVDs and had the same result. When I played a CD, it was choppy at the start but eventually the music played normally, with a couple of freezes here and there.
In the past, DVDs and Blu-Ray have both worked perfectly. I have also tried using other programs such as VLC to play DVDs, with no avail.
Video files on the computer (such as mp4s etc.) are playing fine as usual, which has led me to believe it is a problem with the hardware.
I've restarted the computer several times and updated all the drivers in device manager, as well as making sure Windows is up-to-date.
In device manager, the DVD/CD Rom drive is called HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40

I have very limited knowledge surrounding all this so would really appreciate any help in layman's terms.

Thank you so much!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190811185031.000000+600
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Hard Drives: C: 231 GB (24 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1202 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97-D3H-CF, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Oddba11

Jim
Very odd. In the olden days, Id suspect the drive changed to PIO mode (back in the days of IDE ports).

As it effects CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray, it would appear to be a drive or controller issue. I'd start with the basics. Open the case and ensure the SATA cable is properly connected to both ends (disconnect and reconnect both ends). If that doesn't work, try a new SATA cable. If that doesn't work, try moving the cable to a different SATA port. Aside from that, I'd suspect a failing drive or possibly a power supply issue. But I'd expect you to be seeing other symptoms if it were power.

On a side note, goto Device Management and ensure there are no devices with yellow ! or red x.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online