1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVDs won't play in my DVD-ROM. Audio & Data CDs work fine.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by genomanx, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

Computer Specs: AMD 2000+ 1.6Ghz, 512 MB Ram, 2 hard drives, one CD-RW drive and one DVD-Rom drive (Atapi 12x, set to Region 1)
    Software used to play DVDs: Intervideo's WinDVD 2000

I haven't used my DVD-rom drive since November. I put a DVD in my DVD-Rom drive to watch it and nothing happened. I've viewed the DVD on my computer before. Through My Computer, I double-clicked on the DVD-Rom drive and got a message saying "Please insert a disc in drive E:" with only an option to cancel. This happened with four other DVDs as well. The DVDs I've tried to play have already been tested on other DVD standalone players and other DVD-Roms with no problems. Audio and Data CDs work fine on this particular drive. Device manager reports no errors.

Any suggestions?

2. lehatche

lehatche

I had a similar experiance. I had gotten into a download ,update frenzy. When I qas finished I tryed to watch a movie and my DVD player would not recognise my DVDs it would recog. everything else. I uninstalled every thing I had installed. Then I reinstalled one at a time and tested DVD. untill I found the problems. POP UP Stoper, and Win/Media player 9 after removing and relpaceing MP with WMP 8 I was back in business!

3. photolady

photolady

Although software installs can cause problems, normally it's because the dvd reading lasers are dirty is why it won't play even though it did before. Try a cd/dvd lens cleaner which can be bought at most computer stores/office stores and music stores.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

5. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

Hi. I don't use "POP UP Stopper".. the only popup blocker i use is the one built into IE SP2. I'm not sure how to go about downgrading Windows Media player? I have version 10.

6. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

That's practically the only thing I haven't tried. I'll clean it as soon as I can. Hopefully it works. Thanks!

7. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

My DVD-Rom didn't come with drivers. I think XP just installs it automatically. Everytime I search for drivers I come up empty. What I wound up doing was uninstalling the drive through device manager, rebooting, and then having XP re-install it upon reboot (auto-detect). Problem persists. :(

8. photolady

photolady

Windows is where the drivers come from, you can't get separate drivers for cdroms or cdrw's or dvd drives. Did you try cleaning it yet?

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As far as not working with WMP9 but working with WMP8, I believe this was because of some sort of copy protection.

In device manager, right click on the drive and select properties.. Make sure the region is set, and DMA is enabled.

10. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Also, this may sound simple but hey, you haven't said whether you tried it or not... have you actually opened WinDVD and hit Play? WinDVD can also read from various sources, have you made sure that the software is set to look to your DVD drive?

I know I sometimes have to go to WinDVD and hit play...

Just a thought,

MBN

11. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

Yeah, tried a cleaner, problem still persists. :( this is pretty frustrating

12. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

Yeah, I've tried that several times. Still no luck! :(

13. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

Ok. Region is set, DMA was already enabled. Still won't work. Any other ideas?

14. photolady

photolady

One more question. How old is this drive? Though you may think it's not that old even a year old drive can be bad. Also what brand is the drive, ie, Sony, Artec, NEC, LiteOn, Plextor, Cyberdrive? ATAPI is the standard on CDRW's and DVDroms, so that is not the name of it.

15. genomanx

genomanx Thread Starter

it's about 3 years old, and it's a Delta OIP DV1200A with f/w 2.60.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice