1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI Connector Compatibility ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BearKiller, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

The more I learn about this stuff, the more bewildered I get.

I have a couple monitors that have both VGA and a DVI-D ports.

I was looking at DVI X HDMI adapters and found that many of the ones I see are DVI-D 24+1 with 24 pins and a blade.

The DVI-D cable connector that fits my monitors has only 18 pins and the blade, with two sets of 9 pins and a vacant space in between.

I guess I could move a bunch of stuff, dis-connect all the cables, and turn one of these monitors bottom-side-up to see if there are six unused pin-holes; but I figured it would be easier to just ask those far smarter than me.

Will a DVI-D 24+1 connector connect to the DVI-D 18+1 port on these monitors and work, or are they a horse of a completely different color ?

Thanks for reading.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If your monitors' DVI connectors only have two groups of nine pins with a solid gap between the groups, plus the blade, there is no way a 24 pin plus blade DVI-D plug will fit the TV's DVI connector. The 18 pin version is called single link DVI-D and the 24 pin version is dual link DVI-D, with more data channels than the single link.

A simple HDMI to 18+Blade DVI-D adapter block or cable will work in single link DVI-D mode and will pass all of the HDMI signals to the DVI connector. The catch is that the HDMI standard supports higher resolutions and refresh rates than the single link DVI-D standard.

If your monitors only support single link DVI-D connections, your HDMI signal source would be limited to output video resolutions and refresh rates that are compatible with the single link DVI-D standard. If your monitors have 24 pin + blade DVI-D connectors you would need a converter with active electronics to convert the HDMI signals into dual-link DVI-D signals.

If any of this is confusing then I would be happy to answer your questions to clarify a point.

3. BearKiller

Thank you, Chuck; you answered my main question and explained things very well indeed.

In case I ever need to know in the future, I am going to write "single link 18+Blade DVI-D" on a little tag and attach it to the cable.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

5. BearKiller

Okay, seeing as I obtained these two monitors second-hand from someone far less technologically inclined than even me, they most likely just grabbed a couple monitor cables off the rack at Walmart and they just happened to be the single link 18-pin.

I bottom-ended one of these monitors today and with my trusty spectacles and a good bright light, I investigated the DVI-D socket and there are 24 little pin-holes; eight rows of three (or three columns of eight).

So........, the DVI-D ports on my monitors must actually be 24-pin dual link connections.

I don't think I mentioned it yet; these monitors are 2009 vintage HP; one is a 21.5" HP 2159m and the other is 20" HP 2009m.

I looked for this information on the HP site, but all it says is "DVI", with no pictures or further information as to which DVI.

Thanks for your help.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I found the specifications for both monitors on the HP web site.

HP Pavilion 2159m - Recommended resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01679486

HP Pavilion 2009m - Recommended resolution 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01694120

The 2159m is listed as having an HDMI input. You should be able to connect it to your HDMI source without any kind of adapters, with a direct HDMI to HDMI cable.

The 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz recommended resolution of the 2009m is well within the specifications limit of a single link DVI-D connection. A simple HDMI to single link DVI-D cable or a cable with a suitable simple HDMI <-> Single Link DVI-D adapter plug should work just fine.

7. BearKiller

Thank you for taking of your time to help me in better understanding all of these mysteries; it can be a bit overwhelming for an old country boy.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome. (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice