1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI-D to DVI-I dual monitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by timbob123, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timbob123

timbob123 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am trying to get dual monitors working using a Sony Vaio docking station. I've connected one monitor using VGA port, which is simple enough.

Problem I'm having is with the DVI-D port for the second monitor. If I have a monitor with a DVI-I port will this work with the DVI-D port on the docking station? If so, what cable(s)/adaptors will I need?? I read that you cannot connect a DVI-I cable to a DVI-D port (only DVI-D cable to DVI-I port), if so is there an adaptor available?? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Tim and welcome to TSG.

The DVI-I input port on the monitor means that it can support both (not at same time) analog and digital video signals. The DVI-D output port on the dock means that it can only support a digital video output. A cable with DVI-D plugs at both ends should work to feed digital video to the monitor. You would just need to determine if you need a single or dual link DVI-D cable.

3. timbob123

timbob123 Thread Starter

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A dual-link cable is not for driving two monitors. It is for driving a single monitor whose resolution and refresh rate exceeds the maximum data rate for a single set of serial digital lines. A second set of lines is used to double the available bandwidth.

The cable in your link is shown as a dual link cable. Double check the pinout of the connector in the photo and compare that to the DVI jacks on both the dock and monitor. If either jack may block a cluster of pins, then you need a single link cable. The following link is for a DVI-D single link cable on the Misco site. The plug diagrams show the missing cluster of pins.

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=97386&CatId=2202

5. timbob123

timbob123 Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help. I'll check out that cable.

-Tim

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice