1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI - HDMI Cable worth getting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ry83, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ry83

Ry83 Thread Starter

Ok so I am thinking of purchasing a DVI to HDMI cable, the DVI connection will come from my graphics card and the HDMI connection will go into my 47" LCD.

At the moment I am using a DVI/VGA adaptor at the back of my graphics card and then using a VGA cable from that into my LCD TV.

So my question is if I were to use the DVI to HDMI cable instead would there be a whole lot of difference in picture quality? Or is it not worth bothering about?

Any information you guys can give or experience on this would be much appreciated! :)

2. oksteve

oksteve

I doubt if there would be much differance, if your graphics card had Hi Def video then it would have the hdmi outlet.
    However it depends on the distance betwix computer and tv. Good hdmi cable can hold a signal better over long distances than vga.

If you just use your computer occasionally to watch its content on tv then stay as you are and save the money toward that new sourround sound system you promised yourself(or is that me !!):)

3. Ry83

Ry83 Thread Starter

haha yeah i wouldnt mind a new surround system!......Thanks for your reply though dude :)

The graphics card i am using right now is EVGA E-GEFORCE GTS 250 Superclocked 771MHZ 512MB 2.246GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card, so there is no hdmi input on this just dvi. I have a blu ray player in my system and it looks nice on my LCD through the vga cable but because dvi and hdmi is digital i was just thinking is it going to look even better using them.

But like you were saying i doubt if there is going to be much difference anyway.

Thanks for the info man! :)

4. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

With a VGA cable it is limited to a resolution of 2048x1536. 1080p resolution tv's are able to display a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. That is well within the capabilities of the VGA connection. One main thing is that VGA is taking a digital signal and converting it into analog and back into digital, whereas a DVI or HDMI will keep the signal digital. In a theoretical application, there will be signal loss whenever there is any conversion going on. However in practical terms, it is so miniscule that you would be hardpressed for anyone to actually notice the difference between the two.

O currently have my xbox 360 hooked up to my 47" LCD at 1920x1080 with a VGA cable (this was before HDMI was available, and you could only do 720p or 1080i with the component cables). I personally don't see any reason to switch, unless I were to be moving the xbox a lot (an hdmi is a lot easier to unplug than unscrewing the VGA cable).

The only other consideration would be the distance as oksteve mentioned. If you get a decent HDMI cable, it can go a lot further distance without signal degradation, but again, it most likely will be imperceptible to us.

I know I am just reiterating what oksteve said, but I figured I would give you some of the technical reasons why it is still just fine to use a VGA cable to the HDTV.

One exception to the above is if your video source requires HDCP. VGA is unable to transmit that data, but I know there have to be a number of different HDCP compliant parts for it to work. But if you aren't having any issues now, I doubt it is a problem.

Good Luck
    Jeremy

5. Ry83

Ry83 Thread Starter

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your time and information you stated, as they say you learn something new everyday! haha so that was a good little bit of knowledge there.

The last thing you said about the HDCP, well when i play my blu ray through the vga cable it comes up and says something about HDCP and then it changes my windows 7 colour sheme to basic? but then plays the movie. So if i were to use the dvi to hdmi cable would it solve that problem?

6. bassmadrigal

bassmadrigal

Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with HDCP to tell you that it would definitely work. First your card would have to support it. I know that series does, but it depends on whether or not your specific manufacturer enabled it. You would probably have to check their site. But unless you are doing something with an HDCP protected audio as well, I don't think it will work.

But like I said, I am not familiar enough with HDCP to give you any solid advice.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice