1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvi-output or input broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamhere, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamhere

iamhere Thread Starter

my new dell lcd monitor have been plugged to my new dell pc with a geforce 8300GS via the dvi port and worked for 3 months until yesterday, when i turn on my pc again, nothing but the message (red green blue) shows up, but when plugged to the usual blue port, the monitor works.

Extended description:

when i plug my monitor to the dvi port while my pc is off, then when i actually turn the pc on, the pc would hum for about 5 second without the beep sound or the bios booting, then it would turn itself off again, and before you know it...it turns itself back on again....HOWEVER, when i plug the monitor to the blue port instead and restart my pc, the pc boots normally and the diaplay works as if nothing happened, that is until i plug the monitor BACK to the dvi port and turn on my pc again and then the on and off thing would reoccur and i would get nothing on my monitor.

my pc AND monitor are brand new dell desktop set purchased 3 months ago, i do not know how to service my own pc, and since i moved from the country where i purchased my dell and did not purchased any additional warrenty, i would assume i'm screwed.

is it possible for the socket onboard the card to break? or maybe the pcie slot is busted? or is it my monitor's socket that's broken?

my gfx card is 3 months old. so is my monitor. the pins aint bent. everything is new. i on;y have either dvi plugged or old blue plugged to my card at the same time as i test it, and the card works fine when i have it plugged to my mon via old blue.

many thanks for the help.

EDITED:

i purchased my dell monitor and pc 3 months ago in canada, but i am now in hong kong and will stay there for atleast one year, does the basic one year warranty covered any of this?

thank you.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Do you have any specific reason why you'd want to plug it into the DVI port instead of VGA? :rolleyes:

3. iamhere

iamhere Thread Starter

doesn't dvi have better image quality than old vga?

4. BG-0

BG-0

Is it? I've seen no significant differences between DVI and VGA with my 20.1" Samsung 1600x1200 screen, the difference is barely there and you won't notice if you don't start staring at the screen from very close and compare.
    Anyways, if you don't plan on getting dual monitors while in there, there's nothing to worry about, and if you are going to, just try a new graphics card maybe... They can't cost much... 8300 GS is ridicilously poor card, so you'd get a better one for less than 30 USD...

5. iamhere

iamhere Thread Starter

i've decided to get a new card, but since i live in hong kong now, it's difficult for me to find a place that are willing to ship the card overseas, i'm browsing ebay right now, alot of buyers don't seem to prefer shipping electronics overseas....

6. BG-0

BG-0

Why not buy it locally? :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice