1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI Output/Port not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mobbgrease, Jan 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mobbgrease

mobbgrease Thread Starter

I have my HP ProBook 65706 connected from my dvi port through and hdmi adapter to my tv. It has worked great up until yesterday. The laptop had been disconnected for another use for a couple of days but then I reconnected it and the tv now reads no input signal for from the hdmi. The hdmi on the tv works fine as I connected another input source so the issue is in the laptop or in transmission to/through the adapter.

I guess I'm hoping for some guidance in diagnosing the issue. Is there a way to troubleshoot whether it is a laptop hardware/driver issue or the actual port itself? I'm not really wanting to buy another adapter if that isn't the issue.

Thanks in advance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does your laptop have a key for toggling between the internal and external displays? If so, is the mode set correctly?

Have you checked the Windows display properties settings to confirm dual display mode is enabled?

3. mobbgrease

Thanks for your response. I am using Windwos 10. Fn + F4 used to be able to toggle between displays I thought but don't know if I actually used it, it would connect automatically before. Tried Fn+F4 but no response or change.

Opening up settings > system > display I scrolled down to multiple displays and nothing shows (not sure it should automatically). It should detect multiple displays I think. There is a button to try and detect other displays. No change though.

Using Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000. Found an update on the Intel side for the graphics driver. Installed and rebooted but still no progress with the issue,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    My guess at this point is that the computer cannot read the Display Data Channel (DDC) information from the TV for some reason. That would cause a connected display not to be recognized by the computer. The TV's DDC hardware is working because the TV works with another HDMI signal source that would also need the DDC data. I can't think of an easy way to tell if the problem is with the computer or the DVI cable and adapter that does not involve a different known good source of a DVI-D signal or a known good monitor with a DVI input.

5. mobbgrease

ok thanks...

perhaps i will then take the adapter and dvi cable and try to find another laptop with a dvi port and see if that works and at least be able to rule out or identify the cable/adapter as the issue

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check out any desktop computers you come across as well. Since there is more room for connectors, some newer video controller boards and motherboard may have both DVI and HDMI outputs to be backward compatible with older displays that are DVI only.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice