1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvi output to 2 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gdm2415, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gdm2415

gdm2415 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently got a new computer at work, and I'm hoping you can help me. The video card it came with has a single DVI output and an S-video output, but I'd really like to use both flat screen monitors I have on my desk (both monitors have both a DVI and a VGA input).

Is the best thing just to connect the computer to a dvi splitter that then runs a cable to each monitor? Or would I be better off getting a new video card with 2 outputs? Even though this is at work, I have to pay to be able to use 2 monitors, so I'd like the most cost-effective solution possible. I won't be playing too many games or videos on it, so it's not critical to have the absolute best quality, but I don't want the screens to be blurry.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

My comp specs are:
    comp = dell inspiron 530s
    proc = dual core 2.66 mhz
    os = Windows Vista
    video card = 128mb nvidia geforce 8330 gs

Thanks,
    --gdm

2. Robert Drake

Robert Drake

The only "splitter" that I know of for DVI is a KVM switch built to handle DVI. They're not cheap, likely more than a decent video card with two DVI ports. Buy a new card would be my advice.

3. gdm2415

gdm2415 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...

The computer came with a dvi-vga adapter, so I could conceivably use that adapter AND a vga splitter if that's a more cost-effective solution than a dvi-splitter. I'm just wanting the make the best decision to expand my monitor workspace.

-- gdm

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

It wouldn't matter if you had a DVI splitter or not. You will still get only one output for the port.

The SVGA output is worse than VGA, let alone DVI, and probably won't work on your monitors anyway (unless they have SGVA inputs).

Your only options are to either add another Video card, or swap the one you have out.

is the 8330 GS a particular card? It is not available in the US.

Courtney

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice