1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI Power Save Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kharbin, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kharbin

Kharbin Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to this forums but being as I am in some serious need, I have faith that you guys may be able to help me..

So a few weeks ago I purchased a surround sound system for my computer, I hooked it up without a hitched, but when I started my computer up, my screen was blank (Uh Oh.) It was in DVI Power Saving Mode. After a little unplugging and replugging and resetting things such as the video card, memory, etc. nothing helped. (Initial guess being surround sound system was no good, so that was the first to be unplugged, nada)

After a couple days of me fiddling with it trying to figure out what exactly was up, I got quite frustrated and decided to smack my computer (yes, I know :p) buuttt when I turned my computer on right afterwards, my lord it worked! so from that point on I either A. Left it on, or B. Turned it off completely (my usual being is power save mode)

so about 2 weeks after the awesome fix I created myself, I was in a rush and put my computer in power save mode without realizing what i was doing :eek:. and you guessed it, back to square one. Unfortunetly though, this time a simple smack to the side of the computer was not going to suffice. Long story shorter I unplugged and replugged all cables, reset my entire computer (yes my entire computer was gutted and put back together). Nothing. So I asked a few friends that were familiar with computers, the general consesne was that it was either my motherboard, PSU, or graphics card. Being if the problem is motherboard, I think its safe to assume at that point I will just fork out a boat load of cash for a new desktop :D. So I purchased a graphics card (still waiting for it to come in the mail) and I went to my local awesome store and bought a XFX 850W PSU and replaced my old one with the new. yet again, NADA. with my new PSU in I reset my memory, graphics card, and the battery that is in the motherboard (forgot what they call that little devil.)

so after all this I decided to surf the web a little more to see If I could find anything usefull, I found a issue that was occuring with flatscreen LCD Dells (even though I have a LG) where they were stuck in DVI Power save mode, I mounted the image file fix that they suggested and all that, but here is the thing that I found out (no the fix didn't help a lick as intended) that if i unplug both my computer and my monitor, press the power buttons until both are completely drained of power, replug them in and boot my system. My computer will turn off, shut off a few moments later, and then boot up once again (and continuing to stay on with the DVI Power Save Mode black screen of freaking annoying doom)

I personally don't think its my monitor being as I am running duel screen, one DVI flat LCD (LG) and the other a AVI (DVI Adapter) Dell. and while the AVI is much older, it just has the amber power light and nothing else.

Sooo, someone say some magic word please, what button I have to press, that kind of thing, to make my computer work again please! and then you will have all my love and another cool -->:cool: type guy.

2. Kharbin

Kharbin Thread Starter

Bump.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice