1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI to HDMI and 3.5mm audio connected but no sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechnicalH1, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechnicalH1

TechnicalH1 Thread Starter

Hi folks, so I got a new pc and connected it to my LG 42LV550T using a DVI to HDMI and 3.5mm from line out (and tried headphone socket) to the 3.5mm audio in (RGB/DVI) socket on the TV but I don't get any sound on the TV.
    I connected the PC to my stereo using the line out and headphones socket with 3.5mm to stereo/phono plugs and I get sound, but I would like the sound through the TV and then the TV connected to my stereo for better sound all round.

I know DVI doesn't carry sound.

I had a chat on LG support with no help (n)

Any ideas ?

PC specs.
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8082 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953516 MB, Free - 897064 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H61MA-D3V
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Thanks TechnicalH1 :D

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i suspect because you are selecting HDMI input on the TV that would not enable the PC sound input
    to get the video and sound you may need to use the VGA input on the TV and also a VGA output on the PC
    do you have any RCA Phono PLUGs inputs for Audio at all

allthough -page 116 http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-42LV550T# of the manual does imply you can use that input with DVI >HDMI connection

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The audio jack is on the same inputs as the RGB(VGA) video input or the DVI video input. If you are using the HDMI input on the TV than the audio is on a different input. Switch to VGA or DVI to match the audio or use the HDMI output on the computer for both audio and video.

4. TechnicalH1

Thanks for your advice, If you could check page 12 on the link below for a better insight to all the connections on the TV and I have connected my PC and TV as page 116 (DVI to HDMI) shows, just no sound

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-42LV550T#

When I spoke with LG he thought it mind be a faulty audio in socket ?

Thanks TechnicalH1

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you change the input to use the PC vga and see if the sound works in that input -if not , then it maybe a faulty TV I/P

6. TechnicalH1

I'll need to see if any of my friends have a vga cable as I don't have one. So it might take me a few days to get back to you
    I will keep you updated though, and let you how I get on.

Thanks again.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you dont need the VGA cable - I dont think - it will just display a blank screen and if the sounds comes through then you've cracked it - if not .. then the VGA maybe

8. TechnicalH1

Sorry read your post wrong, I switched the TV over to RGB and there IS sound with a blank screen as you said.
    So how do I get both ?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry, I dont know - thats sort of what I expected the PC input activates the sound input

the minimal details in the manual does imply a DVI input to HDMI should also do that

try going through each input and see when the sound works ?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    with the PC audio connection and sound playing - just choose all the AV inputs
    HDMI-1,2 etc and PC , composite + what ever is available and see when you hear the PC sound and when you dont

11. TechnicalH1

So I went through the inputs and the sound is playing on HDMI 2,3,4 inputs but when I connect the DVI to HDMI with the sound it stops and goes to the unused HDMI inputs.
    So the sound is coming through on the inputs without any HDMI connected but not the one that is connected to the PC.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the DVI connection is telling the HDMI theres sound OR the manual incorrect and you cannot connect a DVI into the HDMI
    I guess your back with talking to LG support again - OR the shop you purchased from

is it a DVI adapter or is the DVI output on the PC

13. TechnicalH1

It's a DVI output on the PC using a DVI to HDMI cable.
    I did read somewhere (when browsing this problem) that it involves the Intel graphics software but they where going on about chipsets and I stopped reading as I didn't know the sound was on a different input. Thanks by the way I would've never thought to try that. (y)

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so it may be be a setting on the PC , to stop the audio or for the HDMI to not think there is audio

i'll have a look see what I can find tomorrow (in uk timezone)

whats the make and model of the PC

15. TechnicalH1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice