1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVI TV to HDMI Laptop Not Working - Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coopsdxb, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coopsdxb

Coopsdxb Thread Starter

Will try to keep this simple.....

My DVI TV is not recognising my HDMI (Toshiba) Laptop when connected. (TV Screen showing: "No Signal" and F5 on laptop showing only "monitor" choice.)

However: Same TV works fine with my Husband's laptop. (Also HDMI Toshiba, but newer model)

and: my laptop works fine with another TV (which is HDMI.)

So, it seems there is some kind of problem specifically with the link between my laptop and this particular TV. Any ideas? Any help greatly appreciated as it's driving me crazy!

2. TekTime

TekTime

What is the model # of your laptop? It's possible that you will need to make adjustments in the display properties, but more info is needed to assist.

3. Coopsdxb

Coopsdxb Thread Starter

U400-10L?

Thanks for the reply...

4. TekTime

TekTime

So you are using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the laptop to the TV?
    You said the other TV that the laptop works with is HDMI, so in that case you are using an HDMI to HDMI cable?

What is the TV make and model that you are having problems with? The problem could be, the computer is set to a resolution that the TV cannot display, but I will need to know the model of the TV to figure that out.

5. Coopsdxb

Coopsdxb Thread Starter

Yes, using DVI to HDMI cable just now and HDMI to HDMI with other TV.

The TV is an LG RT-42PX10. I have had a look at the manual and it advises resolution should be set to 640x480 for PC Mode however as far as I can see, the lowest I can set Laptop resolution is 800x600??

(There's a table in the manual with Various resolutions and KHz / Hz, but I have no idea what this means!)

6. Coopsdxb

Coopsdxb Thread Starter

Managed to change Laptop Screen Resolution to 640x480, but TV still showing "No Signal" and when I try to toggle Fn F5, only "LCD" option is available........

7. TekTime

TekTime

Ok. I was able to do a little research on your TV, and the max resolution should be 852 X 480 pixels.
    Since the lowest resolution you can set the laptop to is 800 X 600 (standard VGA resolution), the signal will not be detected by your TV as it is an unsupported resolution.

So you still aren't able to get a signal at 640 X 480 resolution? Maybe your TV doesn't support that resolution. I couldn't locate a manual for your TV, or I could have checked to see which resolution is compatible with both your TV and laptop. Do you have the manual?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice