1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved DVR file play problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Mad2die, Feb 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I have a .DVR file downloaded on my PC that I am trying to play. I have gotten it to work on VCL player but there is no sound. Any help about another program that will play this type of file or why I am not getting any sound? I have a PC and a Chromebook that I can download the file on, but have not been able to find a media player that plays it back with audio. Thank you all so much for your help. Blessings,
    Maddie

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Where did you get this .dvr file? I haven't heard of that format as a legitimate video format.

Mad2die likes this.
  3. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

I am a transcriptionist and one of my clients sent me this file,It which is why the audio is so important. :) It is from a police surveillance recording. I am open to trying to convert it too but have no idea how to do that.

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    It may need propriety software. When I worked in security, most of the video I dealt with had no audio.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Mad2die likes this.
  5. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

Thank you for your experiential knowledge. :) Yes, my client who sent it to me said the audio worked fine for them. Sorry, could you explain more about proprietary software and what that means?

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Ask the client what program he/she uses to "play" the .DVR file. You might need to install a special program.

7. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

Great idea. :) Thank you.

8. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    It is very likely proprietary software which was provided with the hardware.

Mad2die likes this.
  9. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply. :) Does that means I would need the software that the video was created with to play it?

10. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Correct. Unless they the client can confirm the program they use is a more common app like VLC or Windows Media Player, you will need the specific software.

Mad2die likes this.
  11. Mad2die

Mad2die Thread Starter

Thank you so much! :) I really appreciate your time and help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice