1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVR will not read DVD/CD's - more biazarre than meets the eye...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dubhiggenz, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhiggenz

dubhiggenz Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently i formatted my HDD with windows xp home sp2. the install went fine. my DVR problem began (i think?) when i started installing the bundled drivers that came shipped with my motherboard. when i attempted to load another driver disk into the drive, i noticed that the CD was not being read. i then tried another CD/DVD/CD/DVD and yet nothing would load. the wierd part is that my DVR drive is recognised as a working device in device manager and it is also recognised in win explorer. even when i click on the drive in win explorer, i am not able to view any files and yet it does not tell me that there is no disc in the drive.

now presents my biggest problem to overcome. after a few days of scratching my head i thought reinstalling windows will be it, but obviously i couldnt do that either, i have even tried installing new firmware for the drive (no confirmation of the firmware being applied successfully/unsuccessfully).

Before this current reformat, the DVR drive was working fine. it was reading CD's and DVD's. can anyone help? i am out of ideas... i realise i could try an external device, but this is not a feasible option at the moment for me.

16XDVD+R/-R PIONEER DVR-111D
    AMD ATHLON64 3500+ BOX SOCKET AM2
    WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR SE/250GB/7200RPM/SATAII
    GIGABYTE GA-M55PLUS-S3G AM2 nVIDIA
    Corsair 1GB PC-5300 DDR2 RAM

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Maybe the device is dusty inside. It happens. Get a vacuum-cleaner, connect the tube to the back, so that the air is blown, not drawn, then blow air into the device. Sometimes this is all it takes. Be careful to use a vacuum-cleaner which has good filters, so that you don't blow more dust into the device. Or, you can use a hair dryer, but they usually have lesser output.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice