1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dwindling Memory!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MissSheen, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissSheen

MissSheen Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1564, and I'm having a serious issue with my memory space. I have 1.53GB free out of 58.5GB available on my hard drive, and this is minutes after I performed a disk clean up. My computer defrags automatically once a week and when I analyse it, my C drive is 0% fragmented. I've gone through my programmes and deleted any unused programmes, but I can only go so far with that, I don't always know what's necessary for the computer system. My question is then, my D drive is practically empty, so why am I not using this space? Or will I just give up and fork out 70 quid on a portable hard drive? Or even better, is there anything that could be causing a problem that can be fixed?
    Side note: I have a good few photos stored, but not a huge amount, and around 2 or 3 GB of music as regards what I've put onto the disk. No downloaded movies or tv shows, no massive videos, and I keep my browser cache pretty clear. What else can I do?!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can move your data from the C drive to the D drive if its unused.

You can easily move the Documents, Pictures, Music, and Movies folders from one drive to another, here's how: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

58.5GB simply isn't that much space in today's world.

You can also download TreeSize free and see which folders are taking the most room: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

CCleaner may also be able to remove some additional files: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

3. MissSheen

MissSheen Thread Starter

That's great, thanks! I just wanted to make sure nothing terrible would happen if I used my D drive instead. Can I set up so that stuff saves there automatically too?

4. MissSheen

MissSheen Thread Starter

Whoops, teach me to check links before I ask stupid questions. Thank you again!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem (y)

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

MissSheen...

Some of disk management tips that are a little on the high end of intermediate with regards to experience requirements:

1. Research how to remove your temporary internet files on a daily basis and set it up on a schedule
    2. Get a program that will help you see your file sizes better like (sorry for the plug "Everything"). Open the program and sort by file size. Go to the bottom and take a look at your largest files. Don't remove anything if you don't know it's not essentially or beneficial, but you might learn some things about what is on your C: drive. Some things to look for...large movie files, audio files, and log files (don't remove this unless you know it isn't important). Log files can get very large and sometimes aren't necessary. Look to see if you have a file called memory.dmp. It will be the size of the amount of RAM you have. Good chance you can delete this file if it is present. If you have large log files or memory.dmp, seek the advice of an expert, who can help you know if the file is important. Many times not, so it's worth the effort.
    3. Are you backing up anything? You said there wasn't anything on your D:. If you are backing up anything do it to the D: drive.
    4. Learn how to be a file detective. I can only say the program TreeSize Free will help you here. It's a slightly different twist on Everything. You can learn to find things and then set things up so that a program automatically removes files that aren't necessary. This is a learning experience with a little bit of a steep curve. It's worth the effort, though.
    5. Every PC uses hard drive space called SWAP to assist the RAM memory. If it's not half your RAM, it's not set high enough. Google to find out where to check and adjust (if necessary) the amount of SWAP your OS allocates. The more SWAP you use, the less free space, but it's critical to the health of your PC to have enough, and it just pays to put the health of the PC first.

Good luck!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice