1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DWL G710 Troubles [WIFI Signal Extender]

Discussion in 'Networking' started by damnmachines, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damnmachines

damnmachines Thread Starter

So... According to several reviews I've read online and partly the manual, I'm supposed to connect to the extender which I've already connected to the network via ethernet cable, however I can't seem to find the extender...
    The extender has a factory set IP of 192.168.0.30, and supposedly I'm to try to connect to it using any browser... However I can't connect to it, I've tried some other solutions such as to change my IP to an ip within the same range [the gateway ip of the router is 192.168.1.1] so I tried changing my static IP from 192.168.1.6 to 192.168.0.29 [read it somewhere...] so that I'd be able to access the repeater. A few notes:
    WGT624v3 Router
    DWL-G710 Repeater
    I'm absolutely sure that it's connected, and within wifi range of the router.

Suggestions?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I've had lots of issues with active "range extenders". I prefer the passive approach that doesn't introduce another piece of equipment that needs configuration in the mix.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

3. damnmachines

damnmachines Thread Starter

Solved...
    If anyone is curious, I took the following steps...
    1. Changed computer's static ip within the 192.168.0.x range [used .6]
    2. Connected the repeater directly into the computer
    3. Used firefox to connect to it... [192.168.0.30]
    4. Changed the repeater IP to access it while on the network [using a static ip out of the range of the router didn't let me go on the net]
    5. Tweaked some settings, changed the gateway and it worked.

Also, thanks for those links, however I was trying to avoid spending more money... Although before this is closed, how much of an increase would 7dBi give me? The repeater is important because it's for a house which is poorly set up for wifi [several thick walls and ceilings].

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "[using a static ip out of the range of the router didn't let me go on the net]"

I think that was supposed to be in the same subnet as the router but out of the range of the router's Dhcp Server. For example, if the router's LAN address is 192.168.1.1, and the Dhcp server assigns ....2 through ....100, then you could assign any static IP address ....101 through ....254. Of course, by "..." I mean "192.168.1".

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's impossible to quantify the gains that an antenna or a signal booster will yield, because there are so many variables.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!