1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DxDiag error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 00aj00, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 00aj00

00aj00 Thread Starter

My Vista will not allow me to check what version of Direct x I have installed.
    When going to 'Run' and typing 'dxdiag'.... the following message appears.......... "Error:Could not load DXDIAGN.DLL"

I also noticed that recently my GTR2 simulator game does not work as it requires a newer version of Direct X.... but vista comes with DX10 and the game only requires DX8 to run.

Any simple fixes for this??

p.s.
    I have downloaded DX9c but it brings up an error each time I install.
    And any previous versions of DX I try to install it says 'installation complete' without even taking any time to run the installation application.

Cheers for any replies.

2. allheart55

allheart55

Welcome toTSG 00aj00. Did you try to download Direct X 10? It sounds as if
    your DX10 may be corrupted. DirectX® 10

3. 00aj00

00aj00 Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome.

The link you provide is for DX9.0c.
    DX10 only exists within windows vista install and also as vista SP1 update I believe. (I stand to be corrected).

And as my windows updates are not working I am running out of options when trying to repair my DX10.
    I think I may be trying to force it back to a previous direct x version, something which vista is not allowing it to do.

All that it does when trying to install DX9.0c is....... as soon as running the application it will take all of 0.1 seconds to bring up a message to say that Direct X is already installed.

So I think that my vista already knows it has DX10 and therefore ignores any attempt to install a previous version.

But it still remains that my DX10 is corrupted and microsoft have not engineered a way to uninstall versions of Direct X from windows. :(

I am probably thinking the only way to resolve it is to do a clean install.

(Something that I don't want the hassel of doing).

4. 00aj00

00aj00 Thread Starter

Anybody know how to remove Direct x and reinstall it (without formatting C drive and starting again) ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!