1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DXDIAG mystery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlbertB, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

I have just got caught up in checking my graphics card setup thanks to an old thread here! :rolleyes: Card is ATI Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000, driver is Win2k 5.13.0001.3279, reported as the most up to date fully released and supported display driver for Win2k on ATI site. DirectX 8 and OpenGL support are included. I have DirectX v9.0b installed.

I ran DXdiag and it showed me with files missing and recommended a reinstall. So I did the obvious and redownloaded and reinstalled it. The same files are still showing as missing! :mad: They are reported as:

Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.DirectPlay.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.Diagnostics.dll
    Microsoft.DirectX.dll

Can anyone shed some light as to what is going on here?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd suggest running DirectX Eradicator. It is the only one of many DirectX uninstallers that runs outside of Safe Mode, cleanly removes files and registry entries, and leaves a clean place for a reinstallation. I uninstalled 9.0b with it, reverted to 8.1, and then reinstalled 9.0b (in an effort to get a game to work). Dxdiag showed no errors after using it.

http://www.freewebs.com/firecat/

3. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Problem solved! Many thanks for the advice and for the link to DirectX Eradicator Elvandil. It removed cleanly, then a fresh download and install and all is well. Strange though, I can find no reference to those missing files at all now. They are not reported in DXDiag either as missing or present! Oh truly how mysterious are the ways of M$. :D

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Glad to hear it. Isn't that a great piece of software? Its best feature is its ability to clean the registry of false entries and do it completely.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!