1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dying hard drive...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sweetkitten, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetkitten

sweetkitten Thread Starter

The hard drive on my PC is apparently dying. I need to replace it... no big deal, I can handle that. But I want to get my information off the drive because I stupidly haven't backed it up recently. I can get the drive to start (with protests and a very slow reaction time), but though I can hear it spinning and feel the vibrations, it won't trigger the monitor. I don't get a "no signal" message, all I get is the power light blinking at me.

I DO know that the monitor works. I've hooked it up to my laptop and was able to get it to display. Also, the second hard drive on the desktop will trigger the monitor (disconnected the main hard drive and the second drive will run and function properly, so it has to be the main hard drive, right?). I've tried both the current video card and the old one that I replaced... either one works on the secondary hard drive, neither on the primary.

I freely admit to not being the best when it comes to the innards of my computer... I'm much better at the software side of things. Anything that you can suggest that I try before I surrender this beast to a computer "doctor"? All I want to do is copy all my files and I need to see what I'm doing...:(

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Does the computer boot to the second hard drive?

3. sweetkitten

sweetkitten Thread Starter

I've unplugged the primary hard drive and can boot to the second, but I'm not sure how to force the second drive to boot as primary without going through the BIOS. Will just switching the master/slave pins on the drives make the secondary hard drive boot as primary even though the BIOS tells it that the other drive is primary?

Out of maybe a dozen tries at booting, the hard drive only gave signs of life on the last two tries.

I've got Windows 98 on the second drive if that matters.

4. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    You should be able to switch the jumpers to swap the primary and the slave. Once you do that get into the BIOS and let it recognize them as being changed. (If you haven't switched the jumpers then they're probably both on 'cable select'.) It's also possible to try to get the bad drive fixed temporarily with UBCD, at least long enough to save your stuff.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    I've used the seagate hard drive diagnostic to do this.

5. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

no need to swap jumper. Just swap the cables. Bios will boot the 2nd drive which it now sees as the first with no jumper changes required.

What you want to do is access your data off the failing drive. If booted with the 2nd you still can't access the drive, take the drive out and put it in a ziplock baggie. Put it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Put it back into the machine and see if you can access it.

This tightens up the spindle [being chilled] and may allow you to copy off your data.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice