1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dying, noisy laptop?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geoff.WoW, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff.WoW

Geoff.WoW Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am a university student with very limited funds and I believe my 3 year old, Acer Aspire 3620 laptop is on it's way out. I am hoping for some suggestions on what to do with it, or if I should just invest in a new one

Here are my problems:
    1) It used to happen once or twice a year, but for about a month now, my laptop will make a loud beep, but no error messages or change in functioning.
    I heard from a friend that this means I need a new hard drive?
    2) Sometimes my computer will shut down with a blue screen, telling me there's a 'memory parity error' in system 'fat 32'?
    3) About 60% of the time when I shut it off, a message will pop up just before the screen goes black (so i dont have time to write it down) something like "fatal exception has occurred"
    4) The fan is really noisy and warm, which I think means it needs to be cleaned, but not being familiar with computers, I am hesitant to do so. Any tips?

I have been running a disk defragmenter, which stops the beep, but only during that time. Now it says I don't have to run it anymore, and the beeping persists.
    I'm not sure what to do, and I'm worried that all my files and work will disappear if it dies suddenly. I don't have an external HD because I'm not sure to invest in one.
    Please help!!
    Thank you in advance

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

If you have a CD/DVD burner start saving your files. It may well be just your HD but if you don't have a backup on your files, and it dies, you're really in trouble. It sure wouldn't hurt to clean the system up, and I mean physically. Get a can of air if nothing else and blow the dust out of the fan.
    Generally after a three years laptops are notorious for failures of some sort. As to whether you should purchase a new one or not - that's up to you and the budget.
    So try cleaning your system out - as best you can, save your files on a Disk, and go here and download, http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html?Str=download
    and run it. Your system will eventually let you know what's up. Have you gone into Device Manager to make sure all is well? Jazz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice