Dying USB Ports

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ashu9uf

I have a 4 yr old Dell Dimension Desktop (XP Pro SP3) on which USB ports are dying out one by one. First it was the front two ports, then another from rear, and now one more. Googled for the problem, came across this thread:http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/612232-solved-all-dead-usb-ports.html

In above case, all USB ports died simultaneously. In my case, they are dying one by one. I have peripherals on all ports - printer/audio/Ext DVD/scanner/etc... And I keep my Desktop switched on all the time, switching the device (say printer) on when needed, then switching it off after use.

Ports that are dead, do charge my ipod, but do not identify it. Device Manager showed me the same 82801EB USB controller as in the previous thread's printscreen. Some other people suggested it is a sign of dying motherboard, and this has got me on alert!

Should I try to do the same first, as advised in the original thread, changing registry etc? Or just buy a pci usb and wait for motherboard to die??

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online