1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dynalink rta300 router probs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kellnz, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

Hi i recentley bought a rta300 router, it has been fine till a couple of weeks ago when it started playing up. You would be unable to see the router or ping it, and the dsl didnt work. I would do ipconfig /renew and it would work again for about 5mins and then stop.
    I reinstalled windows thinking this would solve it and it did for about 2 days. It has now started doing the same thing again
    all lights are normal on router and lan light flashes like data is being transmitted
    any ideas?

2. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

also it will just use the 169 ip address and now doing ipconfig/renew it will say it cant contact dhcp server

btw win xp proffessional sp1

3. burdick

burdick

update firmware?

4. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

its updated already

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Maybe the router is just dying.

6. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

Its brand new

7. burdick

burdick

force router to become 192.168.1.1

edit:
    what have you done?

have you:

tried a new cable?
    input as static route?

8. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

How do u set the router ip?
    I have reset router to factory defaults, i have tried diff cable and have tried setting the pcs ip to 192.168.1.2
    even when thats the ip it still cant see router or ping it
    i thought it could be spyware or something so thats why we formatted comp and reinstalled win xp but same prob
    the problem is very intermittent, it will stop working for no apparent reason, and then after doing ipconfig/release /renew about 20 times and restarting it will work again
    it seems to be losing connectivity with router at random times, even though all lights are ok

9. burdick

burdick

Nevermind the 192.168.1.1 ~it doesnt matter

I had a Belkin router, up-to-date firmware, ect. I had to reset the router everytime I couldnt get into it. I get kicked out only when turning off the machine. I think it was a XP home issue...prolly fixed with windows updates. I only think it was XP home because the 98 machine worked well. Anyway I bought a linksys router, great quality, low price. No issues yet. You might want to try to make IP static on the user end. What OS are you using?

10. kellnz

kellnz Thread Starter

win xp professional
    another thing i can do to get it working is to change my network card mode from auto to 100 etc
    doesnt matter what i change it to it will usually connect again
    for about 5mins

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice