1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dynamic disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DVOM, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVOM

DVOM Thread Starter

I'm working on a machine that's got the main 120G disk as basic and the slave 120G disk as dynamic. (OS is w2k)

I don't know much about dynamic disks. What, if any, are the advantages to having just the slave disk dynamic? From what I've read, it seems that all the disks should be dynamic for maximum advantage.

Will the main drive being basic and the slave dynamic cause me any problems? The slave is used for data storage and storing ghost images of the OS partition. As it is, I'm unable to view the contents of the ghost image with Ghost Explorer.

The final setup I'm trying to create has the main/basic drive partitioned with 12G for the OS and 108G for data. The slave/dynamic drive is to contain synced copies of the data folders from the main drive. The slave is in a removable HDD tray.

I'm thinking that it would be best to wipe the slave and convert it to basic.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

the only time you really need a drive to be dynamic is when your using it as some kind of back up, like in a RAID situiation or if you wanna span the volume of the drive into multiple drives.

it sort of sounds like your doing that, so you may want to leave it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice