1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dynamic Disks/Basic Disks (help please)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CallMac, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

I have just purchased Partition Magic 8 and installed it on my comp. without any problem,my new120GB HDD. was formatted and partitioned into three using my Windows XP Pro.instalation disk,now when I try to use PM.to change the size of the partitions nothing happens ie:- when I click on PM. in programs my comp.just hangs and I have to switch it off at the mains.I have read in the PM.Quick Start Guide "Quote" Windows XP uses Basic Disks and Dynamic Disks you CANNOT Perform PM Operations on Dynamic Disks "Unquote"Does anyone know if this is the problem I am having,and if so is there any way to resolve it? Any help on the above subject appreciated.
    regards CallMac :confused:

Since I posted this Query I have gone into disk management and it has the partitions as TYPE Basic so I dont think that this is the problem,I also tried to open PM. again but the computer just keeps hanging with the little hour glass showing as if it is trying to do something but eventualy I have to switch it off at the mains.Can PM.be uninstalled?

2. downtime

downtime

You could try uninstalling in safe mode, by tapping f8 at boot and choosing safe mode.

3. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

Hi downtime Thanks for the reply,I have tried everything even uninstalling and reinstalling BOTH PM. and Windows XP but still having no luck.Do you think it would help if I activated my Windows XP? I still have two weeks to go before activation is required but if I need to do it to get PM to work then so be it,any other sugestions greatly appreciated.
    regards CallMac :eek: :confused: (n)

4. HumanShame

HumanShame

Dynamic Disks are not automatically installed. You have to tell it to make your HDD dynamic. You can do that by either going into Start Menu | run | type "diskmgmt.msc" (no quotes) and hitting ok. In the little "graphs" of your drives it will tell you if they are Basic or Dynamic but i'm pretty sure they are basic.

5. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

Hi. HumanShame,yes your right they are basic disks,so I don't what is wrong and why I can't open PM,it also said something in the start guide about logging in as administrator to run the program and I am sure that I am logged in correctly, the actual PM.program is installed in My Docs/All Users.do you think this could have something to do with the problems I am having?
    CallMac

6. HumanShame

HumanShame

What version of PM is this?? Also, check the event viewer. You can go to the Event Viewer by going to the control panel then clicking "administrative tools" then "event viewer". On the left window double click the notepad-looking icon that says "applications". Then on the right side look for icons that have red or yellow icons. If you find some that have those icons double click them and they will give you more information. Also, if you find some of them relating to PM why not post a few of the error messages so maybe we can get a grasp on this.

7. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

The version I am using is version 8

In the events viewer there are 115 events.
    There are 16 events with an ! mark inside a yellow triangle with the word Warning next to them all of which are to do with my XP activation (days left)

There are also 23 Error messages with a white X in a red circle all of which are -- Error True Vector Engine
    when I click on Properties this is what comes up.

The description for event ID (1) in source (Time Vector Engine) cannot be found.
    The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL Files to display messages from a remote computer.
    You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=Flag to retrieve this description; see help and support for details.
    There are also information Icons which when opened some give the following Info.

Product- Partion Magic
    Con figuration Completed Successfully

Product- Partion Magic
    Installation Operation Completed Successfully

I dont know if this infomation is of any use in trying to help me resolve this problem, but I certainly appreciate all the time and effort that this Forum has given.
    regards CallMac

8. HumanShame

HumanShame

Noted this info and I will do a more thorough search tomorrow. I have just walked in from work and it's 5am so it's time for bed.

9. exwizard

exwizard

Just something to check out. You might try using msconfig to temporarily boot without zonealarm running. Start- run- msconfig,
    then check startup tab, and uncheck true vector and any thing else associated with zonealarm. (I don't know which version of ZA you are using) Then reboot and try installing/uninstalling PM 8. When you are done be sure to run msconfig again and check "normal startup" on the general tab.

10. CallMac

CallMac Thread Starter

Hi. exwizard.
    I have done all that you suggested,but still had no joy, I also loaded the program onto another partition and when I tried to open it the whole system froze again, so I loaded it onto my wifes machine and it opened first time with no problems, she has Windows 98SE and the rest of the specs.on her comp.are nothing to write home about,so it seems that it is definately my comp.that is or has the problem and as I have absolutely no ideas other than the suggestions that I get from this site I will wait and see if someone can come up with anymore help/advice,once again I must thank all of you for your time and patience in dealing with my problems.
    regards CallMac

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice