1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dynamic IP, multiple machines causes IP conflicts

Discussion in 'Networking' started by loncohen13, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loncohen13

loncohen13 Thread Starter

Hey there

I have an ADSL connection, with a wireless router attached. Then have two laptops both connected via the wireless connection. When they are both being used, they usually cause an IP conflict causing one to drop the connection. I beleive this is because my connection has dynamic IP and both machines are trying to connect directly.

One laptop is my work machine and the other is my wifes home machine. Neither machine is on all the time so I havent tried setting up the internet connection sharing.

Any suggestions on how to set this up? I am thinking of using an old PC box as an always on directly connected to the ADSL line and then sharing the connection through there. If that is an option, what kind of specs should it have? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks!!!
    Lon

2. Rockn

Rockn

If you have a router you do not need to use ICS, you have everything you need to share a connection. If there is only one LAN port connect a network switch to it. Most routers also support DHCP to assign IP addresses dynamically, but you can also use a static one.

3. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

If I have a router I wouldn't set up internet connection sharing.

Sounds like the laptops are using the same IP address. Are they set with the same ip addresses (static), or are you using DHCP to assign the addresses?

It is getting late so I'm copying and pasting from one of JohnWill's post.

On all the computers you connect to the router with wire or wirelessly run IPCONFIG /ALL

Hopefully that will shed a little more light on what is going on. Give someone a place to start helping.

For 98 or ME, Start, Run, COMMAND to open a DOS window:
    --- or ---
    For 2K or XP, Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

It sounds as if one of your machines has a static IP set in the wireless connection, if I were to guess Id say its your work machine. Check that on both machines and you should find your problem, an IP conflict should be very rare.

5. loncohen13

loncohen13 Thread Starter

:eek: Ok, thanks for the responses. They sent me in many good directions and gave me lots to think about! In fact I think a lot of my initial post was now rubbish.

I honestly dont know what kind of DSL I have! Why, well here is the problem for me. I dont have a modem, well not one I can see as a modem. The co-ax cable comes into the house and then into the cable box. From there it splits out to the TV, for the digital cable and then a CAT5 cable comes out and into the network connection in the wall. If I look at the wiring down there, the cable coming in is spliced and then the green and orange pair of wires from within the CAT5 cables, are spliced together with another CAT5. This one then goes to the outlet where the router is plugged in. But when I look at the wiring behind the connection, the green and orange pairs again are seperated, then attached to a small circuit board which makes up the back of the connection!

At the end of the day all I really want is a reliable connection in my home office. The wireless one keeps dropping and thats a killer for the work I do. So I am trying to wire a connection, but have no idea what these spliced cables mean!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice